would-be breeders beware...

bkk_group

coconut bomber
Reaction score
ok, some of you might know that we recently bred our crown-tails and were quite successful at it. just how successful? well, they are about 2 and a half weeks old now and things were starting to look a little cramped in the breeding tank so a move to the grow out tank was in order. doing so, we were finally able to get a count of how many fry have survived so far...ready for this?
620 fry alive and kicking :hyper:
this is by far the largest spawn we have ever dealt with, in fact, it's a little overwhelming. granted, this is before culling any and it's still early in the game but a word of advise to you all out there considering breeding...be prepared, you never know what you will end up with ;)

Hly cow, thats a lot! I;m not sure how you managed to count them all, let alone care for them.

my wife says we are slaves to our fish :lol:
it was easy to count as we scooped them 10 or 20 at a time into a little cup as we transferred them to the bigger tank. now i know why we are growing 4 grindel worm cultures at a time and why our work never seems to end. in honesty, i owe this sucess completely to my wife :clap: . since she can't legally work yet she is able to spend her time at home taking care of them. soo much time is spent cleaning the tank bottom with turkey basters, feeding grindel worms, growing more grindel worms, smashing up dry bread for said worms, growing BBS, doing small water changes every day that it is a full time job in itself.

Good gravy,bkk :eek: :lol: That's a lot of little mouths to feed!

Go pat your wife on the back and tell her that I don't envy her by any means :look: :lol:

wuvmybetta said:
Good gravy,bkk :eek: :lol: That's a lot of little mouths to feed!

Go pat your wife on the back and tell her that I don't envy her by any means :look: :lol:
it's crazy, wuv :lol:
no more breeding till we liquidate current stock ;) seriously considering checking out aquabid in the near future as an option. has anyone else here used them to sell fish?

never sold on there. i have two plakat pairs that hsould be arriving tomorrow though. ill tell you if they survived :crazy: i slected usps express as an option-(which wasnt guaranteed) i have had fish come usps express before and they have all survived. pray for my fish just in case htough :thumbs:

do you have pics of the fry or parents?

jacblades said:
never sold on there. i have two plakat pairs that hsould be arriving tomorrow though. ill tell you if they survived :crazy: i slected usps express as an option-(which wasnt guaranteed) i have had fish come usps express before and they have all survived. pray for my fish just in case htough :thumbs:

do you have pics of the fry or parents?
pics of the parents in my "girls and guys long weekend pic project" in aquarium photos (page 5 or 6 and falling fast). i plan to take some pics of the fry when they get just a bit bigger as the camera i use doesn't zoom all that well. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back