Worried about Betta - help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

northpark

Reaction score
I have no idea what’s happening to my Betta, but something is definitely wrong. Over the course of the passed 6-8 months he started to form these very small patches on the sides of his body (just 2-3) but they have grown significantly larger recently. And obviously as you see, he is extremely swollen in the pectoral region. It started small but over the passed week it got to what you see in the photos. Water parameters are good: no ammonia, no nitrite, .5ppm nitrate. 76 degrees, 5 gallons. He has a healthy diet with a good variety. What could be going on and what can I do to help?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 212
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 236
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 215
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 219
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I would say the black patches are ulcers caused by bacteria. And the swollen belly is either a tumour, cyst or bacterial infection. If he is still eating then it is not an internal bacterial infection.

There is no cure for tumours or cysts.

I would just maintain the fish until it stops eating, or the black sores get worse, or the fish can't swim properly, then euthanize it.

Might want to ease up on the feeding, he looks pretty bloated in the photos, a male's belly should never be that distended.

I have 2 bettas with similar bumpy growths. I believe it is a type of virus, nothing can be done unfortunately. Perhaps look into lymphocystis in bettas.

It starts as a shiny dark patch that becomes a little lumpy, this is my male who has it. Oddly enough the mother of this male also has it but less severely. All other sibling are unaffected as of yet.
male betta growth.JPG

neither of the fish in the pictures has Lymphocystis.

Demeter32, your Betta has a tumour that could be caused by a virus, bacteria or something else, and the body's immune system over reacting and causing the growth.

Might want to ease up on the feeding, he looks pretty bloated in the photos, a male's belly should never be that distended.

I have 2 bettas with similar bumpy growths. I believe it is a type of virus, nothing can be done unfortunately. Perhaps look into lymphocystis in bettas.

It starts as a shiny dark patch that becomes a little lumpy, this is my male who has it. Oddly enough the mother of this male also has it but less severely. All other sibling are unaffected as of yet.
View attachment 90596

This picture was taken after being gone on a trip for a week. I put in a 7 day feeder that slowly dissolves so I don’t think the swelling is from over feeding.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back