Wolffish

PRW1988

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Any advice or information on these guys? I'd love to get one when I move into my new house, or mabye even sooner than that ^_^

The common wolffish get pretty big (say 20" or so, some sources say less in aquaria), and I wouldn't put them with tank mates. They don't appeal to me as they've been described as logs, showing how inactive they can be.

Though there are other wolffish available, I think the golden one's are meant to be most active, and the red fin wolffish is smaller at 8".

which one are you interested in ?

generally they are quite predatory and will attack eat fish up to about 3rd of their own size.
some of the bigger ones are just plain mean and will attack anything that goes in the tank.

The smaller ones like my Erythrinus Erythrinus (high finned/red high finned) is a really cool little character, who eats anything that goes in the tank, when he is really hungry he even has a pop at my hand if i put it in the tank.

Other people on here have much bigger ones and more unusual ones.
Jelly has a Black Wolf. hopefully he will put some knowledge on here.

hope this helps a little

Well I'd like a red wolffish, like the one you have, or a (i think they're called) rainbow wolffish. I've got a 55gallon tank that'd it'd go into so some help would be appriciated.

Erythrinus erythrinus
Max size is roughly 8"
Water Parameters are 22 – 26°C, pH range 5.6 – 7.8
Found in creeks and marshy zones. It can survive in water with low oxygen levels something to do with its weird swim bladder which serves as a respiratory appendage.

Mine pretty much eats anything from live shrimps to frozen muscles, prawn and fish. eats quite a lot and grows fairly rapidly.

when it was small it was quite timid but as its got bigger it has got very bold. usually very active especially when it thinks it deserves to be fed.

anything else you want to ask please feel free

Yes... Ery ery's are awesome. I have two different species, the gold wolf fish (Hoplerythrinus unitaeniatus) and the common wolf (Hoplias malabaricus). I had an ery ery but it died :( . For some reason my gold wolf is quite skittish, and I am going to get a larger tub like enclosure for it and some other gold wolves. I've seen a video of them in the wild and they seem to travel in schools, hopefully I can breed them.

Gold Wolf fish
00006-10.jpg

Rainbow Wolf fish (ery ery)
superworm3.jpg

waiting.jpg

Yes... I think I'll get the Rainbow wolf. Or the "ery ery" as you call it. I'm probably going to have to special order that one in lol. Anybody got approximate costs on these guys?

Yes... I think I'll get the Rainbow wolf. Or the "ery ery" as you call it. I'm probably going to have to special order that one in lol. Anybody got approximate costs on these guys?
in UK they generally go for £35-£40, no idea about Canada though.

Well 1 pound is about 2-3dollars canadian I think. So in theory I'm paying about $100+.

Fish from South America are generally more expensive in the UK, I paid 30$ for my rainbow wolf, 40$ for my gold wolf.

I was sure I had posted these here before but can't find them, so this seems as good a place as any to post them.

here is my chap, forgot which one it is :/
random034.jpg

random032.jpg

(bout time the wolf owned a wolf fish :lol:)

Wolf's got him self a wolf fish!! I'm in shock.

now you do realise that it will eat Danios dont you :p

Wolf's got him self a wolf fish!! I'm in shock.

now you do realise that it will eat Danios dont you :p
I'm hoping he will sort out my asian USD problem (if you get my drift) lol

seriously
he is just a baby atm (approx 4 inch) and the D.maculatus seems to have taken a shine to him.
yes I realise this mostly likely will change as he grows but plans are afoot :shifty:

If you ever need to get rid of that goby let me know ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back