Request Help

Tank size: 64l
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:

Had all he above checked at fish shop two days ago and they where good but do not know the levels sorry.

tank temp: approx 25

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

One of my yellow guppies is missing part of is tail it looks like it has been bitten, behaviour seems normal although my orange guppy seems to be hanging around it alot more. I dont know the sex of my fish sorry. This is my first tank.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 30% water change every couple of weeks

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: filter, add plant food and weekly water cleaner once a week.

Tank inhabitants: 5 guppies, 4 tetras (ones with orange line), 1 bristlenose pleco (still baby about 2-3 inches long), 2 shrimps (think they are ghost shrimp one is small about 2 inchs and one is really big about 4 inchs including its really big pincer)

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): 3 new plants 4 days ago and the big shrimp (didnt realise he was so big till i got him home)

Exposure to chemicals: ??

Digital photo (include if possible):

15012010543.jpg

i think it might be a female,
possibly the large shrimp has nipped her??
but wait for more advice off someone more expierenced..
J&D

Sorry the photo is so bad, there is also a little damage on the bit where the tail meets the body a few scales look a little tatty. My guppys were the first fish i had so im quite fond of them :(

New improved photo;
dsc02213u.jpg

Invest in some liquid test kits of your own as not all lfs are to be trusted.

Are can't see any signs of finrot.
Usually with finrot there a white edging, red edging, or pink edging to end of tail.

It looks more like nipping to me.

Is she struggling to swim.

What about trying some melafix to help the tail grow back?

She seems to be swimming fine, she usually swims around the top so dont know if that behaviour has changed. Thank you very much for the help everyone im so worried about my little fishy :(

Keep a close eye on the fish for nipping. Even the shrimp.

Signs of bacterial finrot are.
White edging, pink edging, red edging to end of fins.
Red streaking in fins.
Fins falling apart.
Tranlucent fins, or cloudy looking fins.
Excess mucas on fins.
Holes in fins which have not been caused by nipping or objects in the tank.
Raggy fins.
White fluffy growths on end of fins.

Black patches and black edging can be ammonia burns that are healing.

Ive been keeping one light on at night and it seems to be stopping any more attacks, just concious of this being bad for the fish, i have a light on either side of the tank so it produces one dark side and one light.

When i woke up this morning goliath (shrimp in question) was hanging around the top of the tank swimming around which seemed to upset my guppys.

At the fish shop goliath was in a tank with many smaller shrimps and baby tetras so i dont see why it would attack my guppies. Unless its jealous of their beauty :D

Ive been keeping one light on at night and it seems to be stopping any more attacks, just concious of this being bad for the fish, i have a light on either side of the tank so it produces one dark side and one light.

When i woke up this morning goliath (shrimp in question) was hanging around the top of the tank swimming around which seemed to upset my guppys.

At the fish shop goliath was in a tank with many smaller shrimps and baby tetras so i dont see why it would attack my guppies. Unless its jealous of their beauty :D

Its the nice waggly tails.

Also male guppies (due to the fancy tails) are probably a lot slower at moving about, and changing direction than tetras. I expect the shrimp will be taking pot shots at the tail as they pass.

Most reactions

trending

Back