Will My Rainbow Snakhead Eat My Fish?

sharz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 90 litre tank with 4 torpedo barbs (2"), a hoplo catfish (2"), 3 upside down catfish (1"), 6 khuli loaches(2"), and a male symese fighter who is about 2". I bought a rainbow snakhead the other day who is 3". He ate two of my rummy nose tetras.. so i took the remainin two to the shop. my question is will he eat any of my other fish? some proffesional advice would b very much appreciated. i knw he might eat the upside down catfish as their small.. but im planin on getin rid of them. my main concern is he might eat my khuli loaches or my gorgeous fighter as al the other fish r roughly the same size as the snakhead. thanks peoplee

i would say yes as its eaten sone allready
I have a channa marulia at 6" and that hasn't touched any fish YET but i think its becuase i have big fish in there too ,to keep it in check for now lol

When it's more grown it will do most likely. and like most snakeheads they do grow pretty fast, also depending on the dimensions of the tank you may need a little bigger home , they can grow up to 8inches

id definitely say all your fish will go sooner or later apart from maybe the catfish, but even they will most likely take a battering, all depends on the individual channa but as a rule they are highly predatory, your siamese fighter will go next, id put money on that!

Dave

In a suitable sized tank they say 2/3rds of the size is safe with them but like Dave has said it does depend on the individual channa soem don';t bother some can be rather vicious. Like all fish.

The one I got is a total wuss and lived with hoplos and congo tetras but they were too big to be eaten. Your fighter and khulis will defo be on the menu and if he eats your upsidedown cat you might lose him too.

The one I got is a total wuss and lived with hoplos and congo tetras but they were too big to be eaten. Your fighter and khulis will defo be on the menu and if he eats your upsidedown cat you might lose him too.

Oi.....he was a lovely chap, he was just well fed lol....but it is true he was a big softie :)

thanx for the replys.. i think im gona get rid of the snakehead now as i dont want him to kill my fighter. can anyone recomend any other kool lookin fish that wont eat everyone? i was thinkin of a rope fish as their mouths r nowhere near as big so im assuming they wont eat anyone, but they look rather lazy and look like they dont move around alot.. but ye please sum advice n suggestions. thankyouuuu

Hello mate,what size is you tank as in measurments, it sounds small with what you have, those torpedo barbs i would imagine need atleast a 200litre tank, they are shaped for swimming alot and require space....
maybe sit down and re start your stocking choices :good:

Oi.....he was a lovely chap, he was just well fed lol....but it is true he was a big softie :)

Hey whats this was? He's still alive...well he was the last time I seen him :unsure: By the way the poly has been going crazy lately digging and swimming all over the tank. Is this normal?

Hey whats this was? He's still alive...well he was the last time I seen him :unsure: By the way the poly has been going crazy lately digging and swimming all over the tank. Is this normal?

Yip the P Palmas was always an active fellow, i would regularly have to reset all the sand as he would have made mountains and dunes all over the tank.

wat do u mean i might lose him if he eats my upside down catfish? y wud i? do they have poisen or sutin :S lol

the catfish have sharp dorsal and pectoral spines that will, if eaten, get stuck in the snakeheads mouth, in turn killing it.
you can not remove the fish once jammed in, you try pulling it out, the spines will get deeper and deeper into the snakeheads throat. so in most cases you would have to put it out of its misery, or watch it die slowly, and i would of thought painfully.

those torpedo barbs i would imagine need atleast a 200litre tank, they are shaped for swimming alot and require space....

i can confirm this, my torpedos are 6" long and are constantly swimming up and down my 240L 4 foot tank, considering how active they are i would even go so far as to suggest a 4 foot is a little on the small side, 90L is far too small for them!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back