Why Hybridise Species?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this thread will even be kept but here goes anyway.

I don't really want to go "bashing" people for their views on hybrids but I would like to know why people feel the need to produce them. I can understand keeping natural mutations of animals and fish (eg: albinos or slightly different colour variants of the species), but why do you need to cross breed different species?

I think people just want a fish that looks different or wierd, but still maintains what most people think of as a fish look. They may not like oddballs as a wierd looking fish because they just don't look much like a fish (bichirs and knife fish quickly come to mind). That or maybe they enjoy getting a fish that you don't find in the wild or they feel that they "played god" and created a species of fish.

I think this thread would better be suited to the tropical chat section, as this forum is for hybrids not to get flamed. I understand that may not be your intention, but others might not. I am with you though, I don't understand why someone would want a fish that often turn out "messed up", ie can't swim correctly or can't close their mouth.

Ryan

The reason I put it in the hybrid section is because I wanted to hear from the people that like hybrids. I didn't particularly want to hear people having a go at those that like hybrids. But I spose it might be better in the tropical chat section. We'll leave it up to the Moderators :)

There are alot of opinions on this topic. I have two different opinions. One is that I'm totallly against how these fish came about but at the same token they were made and they also deserve a home and to be cared for. I happen to buy a jellybean fish. I knew exactly what I was buying. I didn't buy it because of it's color. I bought him because he had personality and he really caught my eye. I really don't feel I was condoning the people that created him but that I was providing a loving home for him especially what he endured. He has his own twenty gallon tank that I disigned that sits right next to my computer desk. Inside his tank he has a huge castel with plants surrounding it. He prefers to live alone. There is only one gold algae eater with him which I know also have a reputition. I am always entertained by him. I consider him very smart, outgoing and beautiful. Evan when I feed him he makes me laugh. I give him a round pellet and he bounces around with it and takes it behind his castle to finish it off.
He may be created differently but look at all the purebred dogs and cats out there which would also be considered hybrid and maybe some of the wrongefully test tube children. No one has a right to pass judgements on poor innocent fish. I love my baby jelly fish who is a intellegent hybrid

I thought I would weigh in on this. I really like that people are taking time to explain how they feel and the reasons behind their thoughts. My girlfriend is a zooology major and works in a lab at the university that deals with of all things hibridization of fish... now before you auto-reply to flame this they actualy are working with naturaly occuring hibridization and their parent species. Well in my own research I have found that hibrids are created because they are trying to create something that has the most attractive qualitys of parent xx and xy. This is both a good thing and a bad thing ... if you could create a fish that is beautiful, interactive, and can survive in a wide range of conditions you would think this is a good thing right? On the other hand a "genetic gamble" can in fact create a more fragile creation. So I would say that I have mixed feelings on hiberdized species there are several out ther I feel shouldn't exsist but then there are some I look at and wonder what would exsist if they didnt. To move away from fish for just a moment, Think of the mule do you think it should exsist?

I'm not sure if this thread will even be kept but here goes anyway.

I don't really want to go "bashing" people for their views on hybrids but I would like to know why people feel the need to produce them. I can understand keeping natural mutations of animals and fish (eg: albinos or slightly different colour variants of the species), but why do you need to cross breed different species?

I just like to, I like to see what 2 different fish produce.

There are alot of opinions on this topic. I have two different opinions. One is that I'm totallly against how these fish came about but at the same token they were made and they also deserve a home and to be cared for. I happen to buy a jellybean fish. I knew exactly what I was buying. I didn't buy it because of it's color. I bought him because he had personality and he really caught my eye. I really don't feel I was condoning the people that created him but that I was providing a loving home for him especially what he endured. He has his own twenty gallon tank that I disigned that sits right next to my computer desk. Inside his tank he has a huge castel with plants surrounding it. He prefers to live alone. There is only one gold algae eater with him which I know also have a reputition. I am always entertained by him. I consider him very smart, outgoing and beautiful. Evan when I feed him he makes me laugh. I give him a round pellet and he bounces around with it and takes it behind his castle to finish it off.
He may be created differently but look at all the purebred dogs and cats out there which would also be considered hybrid and maybe some of the wrongefully test tube children. No one has a right to pass judgements on poor innocent fish. I love my baby jelly fish who is a intellegent hybrid

Jellybeans are not hybrids though, they are short body pink convicts.

~T~ eats them...for breakfast. duh!

haha!

chances are he gives them away, keeps select few, and uses them for feeders.

I just like to, I like to see what 2 different fish produce.
What do you do with the young hybrids?

Keep them or dispose of them in a humane way. Heres one of my favourite creations, hes just now fading to yellow :)

DSC02497.jpg

Google my friend :good: It's a hybrid similar to the normal parrot but usually larger with a more round appearance and flat head area, usually they also have more 'normal' mouths.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back