Why has my crab lived so long?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zebazto10q

Reaction score
I have a red claw crab that has been with me for almost 3 years. Now this may sound irresponsible but I've just started researching more about my crab and found out they require brackish. I found out that if placed in freshwater they will die shorty after or won't live to their maximum. But why has mine lived so long? I have him in a 20 long with a land part and a couple of tetras. Should I add aquarium salt? Will he die later on? Will he die if I place him brackish? I'm scared now he might die and I don't want him to die cause he's been with me for almost 3 years.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

I don't know much about crustaceans like your red claw crab. But a search revealed that they only live 3+ years if well cared for. Since you've had him 3 years, I wouldn't change anything since obviously, he's been doing okay.

Many tropical fish hobbyists feel that their fish live 'average life spans', many not realizing that fish live anywhere from 5 to 30 years, with the avg around 10-15 years. However, longevity is dependent on the quality of the care which of course is fresh water and nutritious food.

I would leave things exactly as they are, I dont know anything about crabs but its been happy and healthy for 3 years, changing things now could actually be detrimental to the crab.

I don't know much about crustaceans like your red claw crab. But a search revealed that they only live 3+ years if well cared for. Since you've had him 3 years, I wouldn't change anything since obviously, he's been doing okay.

Many tropical fish hobbyists feel that their fish live 'average life spans', many not realizing that fish live anywhere from 5 to 30 years, with the avg around 10-15 years. However, longevity is dependent on the quality of the care which of course is fresh water and nutritious food.
Thanks!!!

I would leave things exactly as they are, I dont know anything about crabs but its been happy and healthy for 3 years, changing things now could actually be detrimental to the crab.
Thanks!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back