Why Did My Dwarf Gourami Die?

rothenb1

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum!

I've got a 30 gallon tank with 2 Serpae Tetras, 2 Red Eye Tetras, 6 Otocinclus, 2 Striped Raphael Catfish, 2 Dwarf Gouramis and 1 Pearl Gourami. I had 3 Dwarf Gouramis (all of different color varieties) but I discovered my Powder Blue dead this afternoon. I'm quite perplexed as to why this happened. I am fairly well-versed in tropical fish care, my tank is very healthy, and all my other fish seem fine. I had not noticed anything amiss when I fed them last night, but when I came home from class this afternoon I discovered my Powder Blue was dead at the bottom of the tank, and his upper body seemed bloated. Could this bloat be just from being dead for some time, or could this have something to do with why he died?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. If you need to know more about the tank, just let me know. I understand the Dwarf Gourami is a fairly cheap fish to purchase, I am just worried that what ever killed this gourami might hurt my other fish.

PS, I have only had this tank for about 2 months, and this is my first casualty.

Thanks so much!

Hi, can you give us the water readings,

i suspect ammonia poisining, the tank has been running for 2 months but your are already nearly fully-stocked.

Hi, can you give us the water readings,

i suspect ammonia poisining, the tank has been running for 2 months but your are already nearly fully-stocked.

The first thing I did when I discovered him dead was check the water readings. I have a freshwater testing kit (as well as test strips), and everything was in the normal range.

Firstly :hi: to TFF :D

ok, how long have you had him for? anything new added to the tank recently (past month) including plants, fish, decor, etc.
are they males or females or 2female and one male .... what combination?
i think i read somewhere that dwarfs are quite inbred and can die easily, not sure about that one -_- , check with someone else on here.
maybe this should be moved to the Tropical Fish Emergencies Forum so that someone who knows alot about diseases can help ;)

Firstly :hi: to TFF :D

ok, how long have you had him for? anything new added to the tank recently (past month) including plants, fish, decor, etc.
are they males or females or 2female and one male .... what combination?
i think i read somewhere that dwarfs are quite inbred and can die easily, not sure about that one -_- , check with someone else on here.
maybe this should be moved to the Tropical Fish Emergencies Forum so that someone who knows alot about diseases can help ;)

The Blue Dwarf was actually one of the first fish I put in. I had my tank running for 2 weeks before adding any fish, so I added him 2 months ago, even though the tank ecology is a little older. Only thing new is a few plants that were put in a week and a half ago. I purchased the three dwarf fish together at the same specialty store (tropical fish only), and the man I spoke with said that the three dwarfs were all males. Everyone seems to be getting along just fine, no chasing, just schooling.

You say the tank was up-and-running for two weeks before you added fish. Did you actualy cycle the tank durring that time, or was it just sitting with water in it. (if you don't know what cycling is, you didn't do it)

I've got a 30 gallon tank with 2 Serpae Tetras, 2 Red Eye Tetras, 6 Otocinclus, 2 Striped Raphael Catfish, 2 Dwarf Gouramis and 1 Pearl Gourami. I had 3 Dwarf Gouramis (all of different color varieties) but I discovered my Powder Blue dead this afternoon. I'm quite perplexed as to why this happened. I am fairly well-versed in tropical fish care, my tank is very healthy, and all my other fish seem fine. I had not noticed anything amiss when I fed them last night, but when I came home from class this afternoon I discovered my Powder Blue was dead at the bottom of the tank, and his upper body seemed bloated. Could this bloat be just from being dead for some time, or could this have something to do with why he died?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. If you need to know more about the tank, just let me know. I understand the Dwarf Gourami is a fairly cheap fish to purchase, I am just worried that what ever killed this gourami might hurt my other fish.

PS, I have only had this tank for about 2 months, and this is my first casualty.

Thanks so much!

Hello Rothenb1. Dwarf Gourami males are agressive to other males in the same tank (i have 2 male dwarfs in my 29 gallon). It could be simply that he got killed by the other gouramis if they are males. Are they males? you can tell by if they are colorful or not because female dwarfs are a dull silvery color.

You say the tank was up-and-running for two weeks before you added fish. Did you actualy cycle the tank durring that time, or was it just sitting with water in it. (if you don't know what cycling is, you didn't do it)

A few days before adding the fish I went to the store and the guy gave me a few pints of "bacteria" that I poured directly into the filter. I also add "Cycle" weekly.

Thanks so much!

Hello Rothenb1. Dwarf Gourami males are agressive to other males in the same tank (i have 2 male dwarfs in my 29 gallon). It could be simply that he got killed by the other gouramis if they are males. Are they males? you can tell by if they are colorful or not because female dwarfs are a dull silvery color.

I believe they are all males, however the Pearl Gourami is a female, I think. The dwarfs are definitely male.

Hmm, I had the exact same thing happen to a paradise fish of mine (bloated stomach and all) about a month ago. I was never able to figure out what happened, the tank was completely cycled and water readings were perfect. -_- What ever it is wasn't contagious because all my other fish were fine. I'll check back to see if anyone has any suggestions...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back