Why are my nitrites not going down?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

You can add some calcium if you like, or just do a water change and that should add some minerals, assuming the tap water has minerals in it.
No minerals or very very little lol... My gh is 3

I added in some spinach... Hopefully they want it

You can try adding more or better bio media for the bb to grow in your filter. Sponge filters are great for collecting bb. Sounds like your tank isnā€™t fully cycled to complete the nitrogen cycle. You can use filter media from a cycled tank and use that or clean your established filter media in that tanks water and swish it around in a bucket and dump that dirty water into the newer tank and that will help tremendously. Add stability for seven days to be sure itā€™s cycled. I use stability and prime. Works wonders.

You can try adding more or better bio media for the bb to grow in your filter. Sponge filters are great for collecting bb. Sounds like your tank isnā€™t fully cycled to complete the nitrogen cycle. You can use filter media from a cycled tank and use that or clean your established filter media in that tanks water and swish it around in a bucket and dump that dirty water into the newer tank and that will help tremendously. Add stability for seven days to be sure itā€™s cycled. I use stability and prime. Works wonders.
I dont have another fully cycled tank sadly...

Sounds like your tank isnā€™t fully cycled to complete the nitrogen cycle.
Rocky is in the middle of a fishless cycle, he knows he still has a way to go yet. There are no fish, just a few pest snails that came in with his new plants.

O ok that takes a lot longer than adding bio media to the tank. Just give it time. You can add a little flake food to help speed up a little fish food breaks down into ammonia bb nitrites feed off the waste then bb nitrate feed off the waste of nitrite. Your live plants will also consume some of the waste. I would do a water change before vacation and let it sit then hopefully when u get back nitrates will be a little high then do a water change and get it where it needs to be. Good luck keep us posted

He's adding ammonia as per the fishless cycling method on the forum :)

O ok that takes a lot longer than adding bio media to the tank. Just give it time. You can add a little flake food to help speed up a little fish food breaks down into ammonia bb nitrites feed off the waste then bb nitrate feed off the waste of nitrite. Your live plants will also consume some of the waste. I would do a water change before vacation and let it sit then hopefully when u get back nitrates will be a little high then do a water change and get it where it needs to be. Good luck keep us posted
There is a preferred method of cycling on this site. So, we all try to stick to that method.

There is a preferred method of cycling on this site. So, we all try to stick to that method.
I do what I know works for me personally. This site is for info and opinions from others. It obviously say Iā€™m a new member so how am I supposed to know this? ā€¦ what is your preferred method on here?

itiwhetu prefers the plant cycling method, but many members do not want to have live plants in their tank so for these people, and those who are unsure of their plant growing skills, we recommend a fishless cycle using ammonia.

This outlines fishless and plant cycling with links to the methods for carrying out these cycles. There are also links for those who find themselves doing a fish-in cycle, usually after following instructions form a fish store on how to set up a tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back