Why are my nitrites not going down?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So my nitrites used to go straight to 5ppm when I tested and now its taking a bit for the test to register it... But its still at 5ppm+... On the other hand my nitrAtes are at 40-80ppm and going down... I did plant my tank with red root floaters and I also got frogbit with it on accident... There is also anubias barteri coffeefolia and java ferns in the tank with a few snails that came along for the journey lol.
1109210957.jpg

How long have you been cycling the tank?
The bacteria that convert Nitrite to Nitrate takes longer time to grow.

Did you use any bottled live bacteria?

Don't bother testing for nitrates until the tank has cycled. Nitrate test kits read nitrite as nitrate and give you a false reading. Once the nitrites have come down, then start testing for nitrates.

If all in doubt use the super weapon
Floaters.
I have floaters and my nitrites are down to pretty much 0

It could be that your nitrite level is coming down, you just can't tell with the test kit. If, for example, nitrite was 15 ppm and it's now 10 ppm, the tester would still read 5 ppm as that's the highest it goes.
The floating plants as they grow will take up more and more ammonia so it isn't converted to nitrite. But plants don't use nitrite so you have to wait until the nitrite eating bacteria grow to remove the nitrite that's in the tank now. Since you are going on vacation soon, I would just leave things until you get back. Then if nitrite is still high, you could try doing a big water change to remove the nitrite and add more ammonia to see if the plants can remove it all. You should have a lot more red root floater and frogbit by the time you get back if it grows anything like mine do.

If all in doubt use the super weapon
Floaters.
I have floaters and my nitrites are down to pretty much 0
I have floaters already. Thanks though!

It could be that your nitrite level is coming down, you just can tell with the test kit. If, for example, nitrite was 15 ppm and it's now 10 ppm, the tester would still read 5 ppm as that's the highest it goes.
The floating plants as they grow will take up more and more ammonia so it isn't converted to nitrite. But plants don't use nitrite so you have to wait until the nitrite eating bacteria grow to remove the nitrite that's in the tank now. Since you are going on vacation soon, I would just leave things until you get back. Then if nitrite is still high, you could try doing a big water change to remove the nitrite and add more ammonia to see if the plants can remove it all. You should have a lot more red root floater and frogbit by the time you get back if it grows anything like mine do.
Ok! Thank you for your help. I'll keep that in mind

Don't bother testing for nitrates until the tank has cycled. Nitrate test kits read nitrite as nitrate and give you a false reading. Once the nitrites have come down, then start testing for nitrates.
Ok! I didnt know that actually. Thanks!

How long have you been cycling the tank?
The bacteria that convert Nitrite to Nitrate takes longer time to grow.

Did you use any bottled live bacteria?
This is the... 22nd day? And no I didnt use bottled bacteria

This is the... 22nd day? And no I didn't use bottled bacteria
It can take up to 6 weeks, sometimes longer for a new tank to cycle.

Ways to speed up the cycling process include:
Raise the water temperature to 28-30C. This helps the bacteria grow faster.
Have lots of aeration/ surface turbulence to keep oxygen levels high for the bacteria.
Have the top of the tank open to the air so bacteria can land in the water.
Get some gravel, ornaments or filter media from an established tank and put it in the new tank.
Add some liquid filter bacteria supplement.
Don't let the pH drop too low.
Don't let the ammonia or nitrite levels get too high.

It can take up to 6 weeks, sometimes longer for a new tank to cycle.

Ways to speed up the cycling process include:
Raise the water temperature to 28-30C. This helps the bacteria grow faster.
Have lots of aeration/ surface turbulence to keep oxygen levels high for the bacteria.
Have the top of the tank open to the air so bacteria can land in the water.
Get some gravel, ornaments or filter media from an established tank and put it in the new tank.
Add some liquid filter bacteria supplement.
Don't let the pH drop too low.
Don't let the ammonia or nitrite levels get too high.
Ok... I think I may try some of those... I'll turn the heater up some... Also, should I give some calcium to my "accidental" snails so they can grow?

Ok... I think I may try some of those... I'll turn the heater up some... Also, should I give some calcium to my "accidental" snails so they can grow?
You can add some calcium if you like, or just do a water change and that should add some minerals, assuming the tap water has minerals in it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back