Why Are My Neon Tetras Fighting?

LiNa37

Reaction score
I got 3 neon tetras for my tank about a month ago. It's a ten gallon that I set up mainly for my betta fish, but I also wanted some other fish in there so I got some neon tetras. I haven't moved the betta in yet, and the tank is planted with lots of plants. Anyway, when I first got the neon tetras, one of them spent most of its time hiding, and the other two spent their time at separate ends of the tank, mostly.

Yesterday, I got 6 more tetras, and one of the original tetras started picking on all of them. Not just the new ones, but the old ones too. So I went back to the store and exchanged him for another one. Now, however, there are two that are constantly fighting each other, and sometimes another one joins in the fight. What is going on? Are they just establishing the hierarchy? Do they have aggression problems? Is there something wrong with my tank that's making them like this?

The main purpose of this tank is to give my betta a bigger home, and I don't want to have to deal with these buggers tearing all his fins apart when I put him in there. Should I get some new fish?

Maybe take the original two out for a bit and let the new ones settle in? Then add them back. I don't think they would bother your betta though.

Hmmm well you have enough so I wouldn't have thought they'd fight, sorry I can't help you on why they're fighting. Neon tetras aren't the best with Bettas as they can be fin nippers. I have platys and 5 cardinal Tetras in with my female betta with no problems. Cardinal Tetra are less nippy and slightly bigger than neons. Plus they look better. The same colours but better.

Maybe take them all back and buy a shoal of about 5 or 6 Cardinal tetra. Is your Betta a boy or girl?

Actually fighting, with nipping? Or chasing and displaying? The latter is normal, mine still do it sometimes after a few years.

Marieukxx, I wrote another post asking about their compatibility here and everyone told me that as long as I got a big school of them, they would be fine together... :( Are you saying they were wrong?

Soybean, I'm not sure, they're so fast it's hard to see, but I'm pretty sure there is some nipping going on. So this is normal? I thought neons were supposed to be peaceful.

Marieukxx, I wrote another post asking about their compatibility here and everyone told me that as long as I got a big school of them, they would be fine together... :( Are you saying they were wrong?

Soybean, I'm not sure, they're so fast it's hard to see, but I'm pretty sure there is some nipping going on. So this is normal? I thought neons were supposed to be peaceful.

no I have cardinal Tetras with mine I just heard neons can nip. I'm not an authority or anything that's just what I heard that's all.

Okay, they've stopped fighting now, so I guess they were just establishing the pecking order. :D

Thanks everyone!

Most reactions

Back