🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

kevin007 said:
4-6 clown loaches
4-6 bala sharks
1 rtbs
? swords
I was under the impression that if you had more than one or two Bala Sharks you needed a tank that was much bigger than 55 gallons. I also thought that RTBS's tended to get aggressive. Now, I haven't had either of those fish before, so I don't know, but I wanted to mention the possibilities. I'd hate for you to get the fish and then end up with problems - that wouldn't be any good :no: Perhaps someone can tell me (and you) whether or not my impressions are correct.

Sorry to hear about your Cory fry, by the way :( Very sad.

Pamela
aka Married Lizard

If you do decide to get otos, as guppylover suggested (and it was a good suggestion, they're great fish), I would recommend getting 4 or more of them. They like being in groups, similar to corydoras, so 2 would be too few, 3 would be juuuuuuuust enough, and 4 would make them happier.

Also, if you get them, make sure the tank is cycled before you put them in. They are usually wild-caught, and pretty delicate from transit (and the catching process, which usually involves cyanide to stun them and ease harvesting).

If you don't go with a fishless cycle, swords are hardy and good for cycling, although 3 swords would not cycle a 55 gallon tank very fast. You could get a few less sharks and a lot more swords, if you wanted to. Plus, then you get the joy of a self-sustaining colony of swordtails.

TorPeteO said:
If you do decide to get otos, as guppylover suggested (and it was a good suggestion, they're great fish), I would recommend getting 4 or more of them. They like being in groups, similar to corydoras, so 2 would be too few, 3 would be juuuuuuuust enough, and 4 would make them happier.

Also, if you get them, make sure the tank is cycled before you put them in. They are usually wild-caught, and pretty delicate from transit (and the catching process, which usually involves cyanide to stun them and ease harvesting).

If you don't go with a fishless cycle, swords are hardy and good for cycling, although 3 swords would not cycle a 55 gallon tank very fast. You could get a few less sharks and a lot more swords, if you wanted to. Plus, then you get the joy of a self-sustaining colony of swordtails.
hmmm i beleive using my 2 100 gph filter should do it, i will use it for 1 week. or is 1 100gph good enough?

i will also add the 3 sword after a week of cycling

then balas, even though they will get big, i will get a bigger tank soon, like 200 gallon.

then i'll add the clown loaches and i don't think i will get the ottos because of my rtbs, yes they are agressive but i beleive the tank is good enough and my clowns move very fast and balas swims at the top there fore no conflit? i am not sure.

i was thinking on britlenose plecs..

i also add rtbs last because it is agressive :nod:

and rtbs is kinda chosen by my family members, i dont like it that much tho :dunno:

Hooligan said:
You need to get an odd number of clown loaches three or something are you getting big clown loaches or small ones.  I think the small ones are cuter and more playful
why odd numbers?

just wonderin and this is what i plan

5 Clown Loaches (big or small)
5 Bala Sharks
3 Swords
1 BN plec

So this is ok? if it is, it's staying this way..yall have no idea how exciting this is to me!

oh i have another question, clowns and balas are prong to ick? are they? i heard that they are....but i think the water params will be very stable in a 55 gallon so no ick will occure?

Clown loaches get to around 8" so that's 40" of fish (5 x 8), Bala sharks get to around 13" so that's 65" (5 x 13), Swordtails get to around 4" so that's 12" (3 x 4)and then you have a plec which will get to around 12" (if you want large fish).

Using the old 1" per 1 gallon guide you're looking at 129" of fish = 129g, even by stretching it to 2" per gallon you're still looking at 64" of fish = 64g

and you want to fit them all in a 55g :huh:

sorry to burst you're bubble but the maths don't work :(

It looks like some tanks that you have now are wAY over crowded. Maybe you could figure out a way to move some of the fish from other tanks into that new tank.

Aquascaper said:
Clown loaches get to around 8" so that's 40" of fish (5 x 8), Bala sharks get to around 13" so that's 65" (5 x 13), Swordtails get to around 4" so that's 12" (3 x 4)and then you have a plec which will get to around 12" (if you want large fish).

Using the old 1" per 1 gallon guide you're looking at 129" of fish = 129g, even by stretching it to 2" per gallon you're still looking at 64" of fish = 64g

and you want to fit them all in a 55g :huh:

sorry to burst you're bubble but the maths don't work :(
:cool: you da man .

I was looking to see if anyone would anwer the first question[ about the tank size , you did and the others , very well I might add . :nod:

that is alot of fish

Shizat said:
You have 1340 posts on the website and you cant answer this question......What have you been posting?
the number of posts a person has does not mean that they know very much about fish keeping , it can , but like kevin said he's posting to learn .

i will upgrade to a 200 gallon tank in 2 years........and i just havn't update my sig in 6 months......and i asked if it was ok for the fish in the 10 gallon EVERYONE said it was fine >.>

Aquascaper said:

and you want to fit them all in a 55g  :huh:

sorry to burst you're bubble but the maths don't work  :(
I am afraid u have been mistaken, read my first question, i ask what is the best combination of what to put in the tank using these fish..........and then some one suggesting that i can keep that many fish

EDIT clown loaches get to 12 " not 8

EDIT 2: i also said i want a bnose plec :rolleyes:

kevin007 said:
Hooligan said:
You need to get an odd number of clown loaches three or something are you getting big clown loaches or small ones.  I think the small ones are cuter and more playful
why odd numbers?

just wonderin and this is what i plan

5 Clown Loaches (big or small)
5 Bala Sharks
3 Swords
1 BN plec

So this is ok? if it is, it's staying this way..yall have no idea how exciting this is to me!
NOTICE: i said is it ok so my bubles were never burst :p

Most reactions

Back