Whitespot Med That's Safe From Amano Shrimp?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sussexgirl

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've just done my routine weekly water change and gravel vac and I've noticed that one of my dwarf neon rainbows has very slightly protruding scales on his underbelly and a little white spot on it's fin. I know I'm going to have to treat the tank but the problem is that I don't currently have my quarantine tank available, I've loaned it to my mum to put some fry in.

I've turned my lights off and turned the temp up to 26 degrees (from 24). I had whitespot in the tank about a few months ago and it cleaned up fairly easily with some anit-whitespot treatment. I don't think I can use that brand again as it has the blue ingredient that I think is harmful to shrimp. Can anyone tell me what medication is safe to use in a tank which houses two amano shrimp please?

Dropsy and once the scales stick out organ failure all you can do is an epson salt bath to help draw the fluids out.
How big is the spot on the fins, does it look like a grain of salt or bigger.

It's a tiny, you can barely see it.
So if it is dropsy, is that contagious to the other fish?
How do you go about giving an epson salt bath?

Thanks Wilder

Sorry Wilder, just read the links and I guess they answer the questions.

Well I would isolate the fish with dropsy as it can pass onto a another fish if they peck at the body of the dead fish.
If the spot looks like a grain of salt on the fin i would treat the tank for whitespot.
Increase temp to 30, Remove black carbon, and increase aeration as the high temp and med will reduce 02 in the water.
Good luck.

it always says in the little book of info in the box whether it is invertebrate and plant safe so best thing to do is to check there and don't assume that because you bought treatment for x from brand a that brand a's treatment for y will also be safe for your tank as it varies between treatments themselves - but read the packaging is my best advice

it always says in the little book of info in the box whether it is invertebrate and plant safe so best thing to do is to check there and don't assume that because you bought treatment for x from brand a that brand a's treatment for y will also be safe for your tank as it varies between treatments themselves - but read the packaging is my best advice

thanks guys. I've been to Maidenhead aquatics this morning and their manager's advice is to treat the whole tank with Interpet Anti-Whitespot. I'm going away for the next three days so this couldn't have come at a worse time. When I queried the shrimp the manager told me that he had used that treatment in a huge tank with shrimp in and they all survived. He said other meds require giving daily doses at first which I can't do with going away. At least with the Anti-Whitespot it's one dose and then one more a week later. I hate having to say it but the 2 shrimp are going to have to take their chances because although it would upset me to lose them I would rather lose them than my fish. I've no way of isolating the rainbow with protruding scales whilst I'm away so I'll have to leave him in there whilst I'm away and try and isolate him on Sunday night when I return.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back