Whitebait As Main Diet, Or Prawns

kniesh

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Title says it all really, i'm not great on nutritional values in foods so I was hoping someone could tell me which would be best for my fish, a staple diet of Whitebait, with mussels,squid, and prawns as a treat, or the other way round? I also have tinfoils an a flagtail so have to feed veg but I mean mostly for my Fire Eel an Bichiirs.

Thanks in advance

Whitebait is more nutritious but i do feed a lot of prawn, there a lot of stuff floating around about prawn containing a lot of thiamense (the stuff in goldfish that destroys vitamin b1) but i've not experienced any problems, my gar will not except any other dead foods but prawns so they have too do.

have you tried lance fish i feed them to my rtcf he loves them i also feed him prawns , mussels,

Vinny that eel would only take prawn or bloodworm, I tried him with ancefish and he wouldn't touch it and funny enough my new eel is the same

haha, thanks for the replies. Noticed he wont touch the whitebait m8. Dont think he has settled totally yet, havent seen him eating. I have left stuff in just before lights off but its tough to know whether he got it with these Ganet Tinfoils. :rolleyes: I will try Prawn over the next few days then, should sort him.

haha, thanks for the replies. Noticed he wont touch the whitebait m8. Dont think he has settled totally yet, havent seen him eating. I have left stuff in just before lights off but its tough to know whether he got it with these Ganet Tinfoils. :rolleyes: I will try Prawn over the next few days then, should sort him.

I always had to hand feed him, cos with the silver dollars and oscars he woul have had no chance, he used to come the surface and take it from my hand

I always had to hand feed him, cos with the silver dollars and oscars he woul have had no chance, he used to come the surface and take it from my hand

Good to know. I will give it a go in a minute. Thanks.

lance fish my oscars and channa never took that stuff,what did take it left an awful mess in the tank for me,
My tinfoils are awful gannets so what i had devised is, an old spray bar, cram it full with chopped prawns and pellet's, then aim it straight to the bottom and wisk it around under the rocks,works a treat,now my pulchra come up to the tube and waggle egarly :good:

lance fish my oscars and channa never took that stuff,what did take it left an awful mess in the tank for me,
My tinfoils are awful gannets so what i had devised is, an old spray bar, cram it full with chopped prawns and pellet's, then aim it straight to the bottom and wisk it around under the rocks,works a treat,now my pulchra come up to the tube and waggle egarly :good:

I am definately gonna try that for the Ornate, Senegal and Fire Eel now. I am not proud of it, but up till now I have been just overfeeding to make sure the 2 Bichirs got some. Been doin roughly 3 water changes a week as well. Just use the hose pipe tho so its quite easy.

Just figured out where to drop prawns and land them right outside his pipe he shares with the two bichiirs. He threw them back vert quickly, full prawns too. First time i've seen him eat so good signs.

Most reactions

trending

Back