White Streaks In Tail! Any Advice Please

lizzyleith

Reaction score
Hi - my Beta has white streaks in his tail - can anyone tell me what this is?
Also recently green spidery algae has been growing in the tank - could this be anything to do with it?
He seems healthy and happy other than this.
(I don't know why but the photo of him keep loading upside down? -sorry)

image.jpeg

image.jpg

His coloring looks perfectly normal.  He is a bit overfed though so you might need to back off on your feeding a bit.

Bettas do change coloring over time. Especially after bringing them home and getting them healthy/happy. They will/can change while they age, keep an eye on the white streaks. Look for missing/tearing of the fin or if it starts to be white AND transparent. This could mean trouble. If you notice it's just changing color and not falling off or becoming transparent, he's probably just healthy and happy!

As for the algae, any time you have light you're going to get algae. It will usually show up on decorations as they don't move and always get light on them. Over feeding gives algae food, so does over lighting. Try and keep your grow light on for 8hrs only, if you want to watch him more than 8hrs/day add a small LED light or something that won't feed the algae. No matter what you do it hardly will ever go 100% away. Spot treat your decorations by removing the algae when you do water changes. It's unsightly but it really won't hurt your fish. If there's algae everywhere, there might be an underlying problem that needs to be addressed. But if it's just on decorations/high light areas, that happens.

beautiful fish!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back