White Spots Found On Fins - Would Like To Spearhead This Issue

NeonBlueLeon

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just noticed this a few minutes ago on the fins of my fish.  The spots were not on the fins this morning.  Although I did not press my face up to the glass (as I did to examine these spots) later in the day, I did not notice them either.  Any help would be appreciated as I would like to spearhead this issue before it gets worse.  Here is the list of things, copied and pasted due to laziness/frantic-ness.

Tank size: 20 gallons
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: less than 5
tank temp: 74-76 degrees F

Fish Symptoms: Little white spheres on the fins of my fish.  They are present on my two female mollies, most of my rummy nose tetras.  I have one male swordtail, but no signs of it on him yet.  Tetras show no signs of stress (rummy nose still rummy) and their behavior is normal.  The mollies are new so I do not have a firm grasp on their "normal" behavior, but they do not seem stressed based on my experience with fish.

Volume and Frequency of water changes:  Since the tank has been cycled, and fish added, 10% every week.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:  Besdies a dechloronator, I added one dose (10 mL) of API Leaf Zone (iron and potassium additive for plants) yesterday.  Added 10 mL of API Stress Zyme and a handful of gravel from my LFS way back on day one of cycling.

Tank inhabitants:  5 rummy nose tetras, 2 female mollies, 1 male swordtail.  As for plants, I have two "moss" balls (Petco), grass, and an argentine sword.

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):  The 2 female mollies and 1 swordtail were added three days ago.  They had no signs of white spots upon addition (I truly truly scrutinize my fish during drop acclimation).

Exposure to chemicals:  Besides the chemicals I have listed above, nothing else.

The picture attached is slightly blurred (taken on an iPhone), but the white dots circle are indeed spheres.

Attachments

• Uh oh....jpg
    Uh oh....jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,195
This looks rather like some type of fungus/bacterial infection. It isn't exactly spots but streaks from what I can tell.
It's possibly that increased water changes, providing the best conditions may clear it up. But if you see it getting worse  even when doing so, affecting others in the next few days, you may want to start treating.

The picture leads it to appear like streaks, but that is just cause I'm taking a picture of a moving tail with an iPhone.  It is clear, when observed with a human eye that they are circular.

I've heard all kinds of gnarly stories about treatments, but if it is life or death, of course I will do what I can.  Is there any particular brand/type of treatment you would recommend?

Then it could be ich/itch, aka white spot disease.

Would you recommend adding aquarium salt?  This I heard is the typical treatment for Ich.

If the white spots are salt grain sized and white you need to be treating for Ich. Protozin is good at eradicating this if you haven't already gone down the salt treatment route.

Also, no matter how thoroughly you scrutinise fish prior to adding them to an aquarium, you will not be able to see the viruses, bacteria and protozoan parasites which your old stock will not be immune to. For instance, in the case of white spot you will not be able to see the microscopic trophonts which encapsulate the parasite before they've had the chance to become free swimming and attack the fishes skin.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!  You guys rock.  It is definitely Ich and it has outbroken (is that a word?) in the tank.  Poor tetras got it bad right now :(

So I have dosed the tank with aquarium salt over the course of 36 hours as well as been increasing the temperature of the tank at roughly 1.5 degrees per day.  We'll see how this plays out.  Thanks for the help, everyone.

NeonBlueLeon said:
Thanks for the responses, everyone!  You guys rock.  It is definitely Ich and it has outbroken (is that a word?) in the tank.  Poor tetras got it bad right now
sad.png

So I have dosed the tank with aquarium salt over the course of 36 hours as well as been increasing the temperature of the tank at roughly 1.5 degrees per day.  We'll see how this plays out.  Thanks for the help, everyone.

I'm glad you've positively identified it. Remember to keep treating the water even when the whitespots have gone as there is an invisible stage to the parasites life cycle in which the parasites replicate in a trophont on the substrate. You want the salt to kill the parasites when they decide to leave the trophont and become free swimming so that they die before they can attach themselves to any of your fish.

And now for another update with bad news.

Now, I do not know a whole lot about the effects of Ich, but I lost a tetra today.  The fins on the tetra were eaten away clean and the poor fish got caught in the weak filter intake.  I can see it happening to another one, but I have put him in a breeder net (my only other tank is housing an overly aggressive molly).

Does Ich eat away at fins?  Or has the Ich opened a new can of worms known as fin rot/bacterial infection?

Does Ich eat away at fins? Or has the Ich opened a new can of worms known as fin rot/bacterial infection?

This is normal for ich. Do not get tempted to treat two things at a time though..Any treatment is highly stressful for fish.  After you deal with the ich infestation, observe for secondary infections, which is possible.  But do as many water changes as you have time for during and after you cure the fish. That will help remove the ich parasites during treatment and prevent secondary bacterial infections afterwards.

Another update, the tetra in the net has also passed away. 
rip.gif

Three tetras now remain along with the mollies.  Both mollies and two tetras have a few Ich spots on their caudal fins, and no visible spots on their bodies.  I realize they may still have some in their gills.  I'll keep the heat and salt treatment three days after I can see zero spots.

One tetra however has still got it all over its body.  Its caudal fin is still looking full and healthy (besides the spots) but his pectoral fins look weaker.  I am keeping up with water changes (two gallons - 10% daily).  That reminds me, I need to pick up more salt.  I hope he can pull through.

Anywho, despite all the downfalls lately, I am looking to purchase more rummy noses.  Three in one tank will not do, obviously.  I'll be going to my LFS and seeing what I can do for a quarantine tank on my current budget.

Thanks for the reply snazy.  You have been very helpful and I truly appreciate it!

Hopefully you get survivors. Sometimes the treatment starts too late for them so don't blame yourself.  I would do bigger water changes if you can. 50% won't harm.

I am finally back with some good news.  There are no longer any visible spots on any of my fish.  The heat and salt will continue for at least four days.  After that long battle, I now have two (very lonely :() rummy nose tetras and one female molly.  The other female molly has been moved to a quarantine tank due to an unprecedented show of aggression to the entire tank.

The fins on the fish are looking healthy and not rotting.  :)

Notes for the books:
-Rummy nose tetras seem to be quite comfortable in salty water, contrary to popular belief.  I had about 3-4 tablespoons per 5 gallons of water!
-Argentine Blades seem resilient to salt water.
-Quarantine tanks are vital.  I have just set one up.  Don't worry, it's cycled (media of QT filter was sitting in the filter of a cycled tank for four days).

Thanks to everyone that helped me out here.  You guys are truly, truly the best and I really appreciate it.  In the depths of this outbreak and the mortalities, I nearly gave up on the hobby altogether.  But you guys are so supportive, and I thank you!  I'd buy you all a round of drinks sometime if I could!

Hi, glad you managed this with a positive outcome. Just keep an eye on the QT tank because 4 days is not even near enough to cycle a media.

Most reactions

Back