The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gr44

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all,

Stats below first:

Tank size: 600mm x 300mm x 300mm (54L ish)

pH: Around 8-8.2

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: ~30-50ppm

kH: Around 230ppm

gH: Around 390ppm

tank temp: 26*C

Okay,

Quick bit of history!!

I completed a fishless cycle and loaded the tank with 14x Glowlight Tetra's on the 18/11/09 (18th of November for you Americans!!!) a week later I noticed they had fin rot - see thread here so I dosed it with eSHa 2000 as suggested. The past couple of weeks they really settled down and the fins are nearly all healed.

So I decided to get some Panda Corydoras yesterday (got 6 of them) - When I got home I had 6 but also a dead cory as well, looked like he'd been dead for a while so I think somehow it was dead from the tank I bought them from - didn't notice it in the bag and only saw 6 so rather confusing. I didn't notice the dead one until I'd finish the drip acclimization (about 2 - 2 1/2 hours after I bought them) and I didn't have a QT tank so I had to drop them in my only tank.

The Panda Corydoras appear to be okay for the moment, still a little stressed but I can't see anything unusual on them.

I have however noticed one of my Glowlight Tetra's has a white spot on the top of him/her where the area should be a transparent colour - couple of photos below

white1.jpg

white2.jpg

(S)he appears to be acting 'normally' otherwise and doesn't appear too fussed over it, though I'm new to keeping fish so I may well be missing something.

Any thoughts please??

Thanks,

Sean

Is it a spot or patch as hard to make out in the pic.
Any redness to the spot or patch.
How big is the spot. Is it bigger than a grain of salt.
Does the spot look like its filled with fluid.

Sorry, it's a 'patch' really rather than a spot (very clear in the last picture) It's like a trigangle with the point on the red glowlight bit and the larger section on the top of the fish between the 2 fins.

Certainly larger than a gain of salt.

I can't see any redness to it but will keep an eye on it, seems to be another faint white patch on the silver part of that fish as well.

I wouldn't say it looks like it's fluid filled.

Best way I can descibe it is this;

It looks like a piece of transparent plastic (the fishes skin) has been heated and bent turning the bent area white... if that makes sense?

Thanks for the reply Wilder!

Sean

Ok.
If there no sign of flicking and rubbing I would take the bacterial route.
If in the uk add some myxazin by waterlife.
Just want to make sure there couldn't be heater burns.

Thanks Wilder!

Will pick some up tomorrow, I've got some eSHa 2000 I used for the finrot - i dosed the tank with some of that last night because I figured it'd be better than nothing!

He/She doesn't look any worse today, if anything I'd say it's a little less noticable. I'll get the Myxazin to be on the safe side though!

Cheers,

Sean

The esha 2000 med fine.
Good Luck.
Let me know if you don't mind if the med clears it up.

Sorry Wilder,

Do you mean eSHa 2000 is okay instead of the other one? Will use it again tonight before I can pick up the other one (if needed!)

Of course I'll let you know how the lil' fella gets on :)

Many Thanks,

Sean

Just carry on with the esha med it's a bacterial med.
If no improvement over the next few days get back to the board.

Just to let you know that he is looking much better now, not totally healed but he does look on the road to recovery! :)

Thanks,

Sean

Thanks for the update.
I think I would do another round of meds then, just to be on the safe side.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back