White Patch On Silver Dollar

redSG

Reaction score
Hi all,
After seeming to sort out why my SD's were acting weird, it appears one of them has developed a slightly fuzzy white patch (noticed yesterday). I put in some melafix/pinafix, but I've no real idea what this is. Dare I say it hasn't worsened, but it's hard to say. I've done testing in the water--the GH is high, but all other readings seem fine. We did a 30% water change in the 190L tank on Tuesday. I can't post all the tank specifics at the mo, but can in a bit if it will help. I'm just looking for a starting spot with what this may be.
Thanks in advice for any help/ideas.

Attachments

• sick_silver_dollar.JPG
    sick_silver_dollar.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 2,341
looks like a big old fungus patch. Melafix apparently does treat things like that but I've never had success using it. See how things go over the next few days and if it goes red or gets bigger then maybe try something a little stronger.

Hi all,
After seeming to sort out why my SD's were acting weird, it appears one of them has developed a slightly fuzzy white patch (noticed yesterday). I put in some melafix/pinafix, but I've no real idea what this is. Dare I say it hasn't worsened, but it's hard to say. I've done testing in the water--the GH is high, but all other readings seem fine. We did a 30% water change in the 190L tank on Tuesday. I can't post all the tank specifics at the mo, but can in a bit if it will help. I'm just looking for a starting spot with what this may be.
Thanks in advice for any help/ideas.

this fish has had a bump, or been bashed by another fish. i used plain teatree oil one drop to each ten gallons of water. it does however take some time, as the white fluff has to drop off before the real healing can start. my fish had areas in both its flanks, on one side it was five or more times bigger than on your fish, but in a little over 8 weeks, you could see no more than a slight mark where the damage had been.

White fluffy patches, columnaris.
Melafix is no good if its a bad strain, myxazin by waterlife pimafix, or anti internal bacteria med by interpet and pimafix.

White fluffy patches, columnaris.
Melafix is no good if its a bad strain, myxazin by waterlife pimafix, or anti internal bacteria med by interpet and pimafix.
AHH perhaps one of the reasons my dollars took so long to heal. the TeaTree acting as a simple antibacterial for the tank in general, allowing the fish to heal, whilst fresh infection was avoided.

Thanks for all the replies. Dare I say the wee guy looks a bit better today. The fuzziness has definitely gone down, and it doesn't appear that the mark has gotten any bigger. Will continue treating with mela/pimafix for now and keep an eye on things.

I don't currently have any of the Interpet Bacteria treatment...any opinions on the King British Bacteria Control med?

Never used king british baceterial control.
I would add it to the tank over the melafix.

Most reactions

Back