White Patch On Pleco's Head

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MrJohnnyB

Reaction score
Hi, I have recently started getting a white patch on my plecos head, am setting up a hospital tank (wish me luck in catching the #29###!) with a view to moving - I have 2 plecos in my 240 Litre set up (I know i know i shouldnt, one was a rescue though from a friend who had done very little research) both are around 14-16months old + however old they were at the shop - I suspect fairly juvenile. The one with the mark is the slightly more territorial of the two, for the most part they will ignore each other, although occassionally one will chase the other but give up pretty quickly as there's quite a lot of hiding spots and tall grass etc. Don't think it's a stocking issue...

Have 3 Honey Gouramis, 18 Zebra Danios, 5 YoYo Loach, and 2 Plecos.

Water perams are absolutely fine using a liquid test kit. Does anyone think it maybe a mark from fighting?! The fish itself doesnt seem to be in anyway bothered by it but am a little dubious that it could get worse.. Anyway I attach a picture.

Plec.jpg

My first impression would be a heater burn; do you have a heater guard?

I have a male and female BN plec and when the male crams her into a cave to lay her eggs hes a bit rough and she sometimes gets small injuries and the white patches are when they are healing. So it looks as though shes hurt herself on something. Plenty of water changes to promote healing and add a bacteria med it you feel its necessary.

Thanks a lot for your posts. As soon as you said heater, I looked at it again and am 100% you are right. I've ordered a heater guard and am awaiting its arrival. It doesn't seem to be unduly bothering the Pleco, so presumably nothing else needs to be done?

Thanks a lot for your posts. As soon as you said heater, I looked at it again and am 100% you are right. I've ordered a heater guard and am awaiting its arrival. It doesn't seem to be unduly bothering the Pleco, so presumably nothing else needs to be done?
Yeah just plenty of water changes and it should be healed in no time!

Poor love - its must have really hurt and its only just missed her eye. I dont know why heater guards are not fitted as standard - they should be!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back