White Patch On Platy.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

arobinson1984

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I have an orange female platy that is about 2 years old.

Over the last 3/4 days she has developed a white patch just behind her head. It doesnt look fluufy, more like the colouring has just faded away but it has got slightly bigger as days have gone by.

I have included 2 pictures although they are not terribly clear as she wont stay still lol

013.jpg

017.jpg

I have the following medications instock:

Myxazin
Protozin
Interpet no 9 - Internal anti-bacterial

Can anybody please help me diagnose the illness and recommend the best course of action

Thanks in advance

Andy

Any ideas anybody?

I was thinking it was body fungus but I thought that was normally fluffy patches, but this patch is not fluffy

Also forgot to add:

API master kit

PH - 7.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20

Andy

Is there anything she could have been sticking her head into?

I've had it before where fish are determined to squeeze through a piece of rock/wood and have rubbed scales off in the process etc.

Does it look like that kind of mark?

Yes curiousity, that does seem like a possibility. The mark seems to be like the colour has faded, possibly a scale or two have come off? Would you treat it with anything or leave it to heal? I do have some melafix but I dont like using it, last time I used melafix a while ago, I had 2 fish die even though I was half dosing. I've read somewhere that certain fish dont react well to melafix

In the tank I have 2 amazon swords, 2 moss balls, a ship ornament and a rock ornament so I guess she could have caught herself on something. I'm getting rid of the ship and rock soon as I want to change from gravel to sand and then go for more natural look so will be adding some bog or driftwood etc etc

Andy

Just keep an eye on her and the mark on her head. If it doesn't get significantly bigger or go red or fluffy then it will probably heal on it's own.
She may well have decided she WAS going through an ornament.

I once had a gourami who actually bumped his head so many times that he had a little bit of a dip where the scar tissue was... silly fish.

Thanks, I've just managed to get a good look at it, it does go in a little as if some scales are missing, so she has either caught it or been attacked but I've never seen any fish get attacked in the tank and its not a 'chunk' thats missing, just the top scale part.

I have a floating breeding trap, I could put her in there for a couple of days to give it chance to heal without her coming in to any contact with the other fish. I just dont want to stress her.

Andy

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back