White lump/growth on African cichlid's lip. Loss of colour and appetite.

Tttay89

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a tank of 4 African cichlids.
Never had any problems with them in 3 years.
One has grown larger than the others and has taken a habit of bullying another which I assume has lead to stress and picked up some kind of infection. I don't think it's ich or it's not cotton looking, just one singular lump on his lip. I noticed it around a week ago but only today he has lost a lot of colour and is not eating. I don't really like medicating the tank as I don't have a quarantine tank with seperate heater filter etc. What does the illness sound like and can I just get away with daily large water changes? If I can use any recommended meds then so be it but I'll have to treat the whole tank.
Thanks!

Here's a pic of the lump (left hand side) the spots on the right hand side of the image are his markings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230510-020519.png
    Screenshot_20230510-020519.png
    555.3 KB · Views: 14
looks like excess mucous on a sore. it should clear up by itself if the tank is clean.

Ok strangely I've woke up this morning the white spot has shrunk very slightly but now does look very slightly "cottony" but it's too small to tell. But he's now eating as normal again?
So 1) I'm hoping it is just mucus that clears
Or 2) if it is cotton disease , as per original question can daily large water changes rid of it?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back