White dots

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Dmgamerbadk

Reaction score
I've had this tank running for about a week with fish in for 5 days. It was a used tank and water test are good nothing wrong there. These white dots appeared sometime today while I was asleep (I work nights). I'm hoping it's only white algae but I wanna be safe and see what you all think it is.
I have 2 zebra fish, 4 black neons, 2 bala shark, and a clown pleco. This is a 55 gallon tank.

There Is bubbles in the picture but it's the white stuff stuck to the glass.
15qyau8.jpg

Last edited:
I assume we are talking about the thin white worm like things in the water that look like little scratches on the glass?

If so, they are planaria worms. They live in the substrate and feed on rotting food and organic matter. Regular water changes, complete gravel cleans and reducing food will normally cause the populations to decline and you won't see them. But they are in most tanks and are harmless but a sign of lots of gunk in the substrate.

Although the worms are not harmful to the fish, the conditions in which they thrive can be fatal. Planaria can even get into the gills of fish, causing irritation.

Most reactions

Back