Which live plants do not need substrate sand?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Madeline

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I have a small 4 gal BiOrb Halo tank, it was a birthday gift for my 5 year old daughter. She has 3 glow fish and cherry shrimp in it and they have been doing well for over 4 months now. I've developed a love for fish keeping from her birthday gift and am slowly learning about the hobby.

Some of the fake BiOrb decor has already faded in color and vibrancy as well as developed black spots and I can't seem to clean off. I'd like to replace the fake plants in her tank with live ones that don't need substrate sand.

I've been reading and researching and learned of the Anubias plant which I plan to get. However, are there any other suggestions? I'd like a couple varieties to make the tank pleasing to the eye as well as healthy for the fish. And of course, something easy to care for that a newbie won't kill.

Also, I want to give the fish and shrimp places to hide. The shrimp just had baby shrimp and I wanted to offer them a better hiding spot that the fake plants and a piece of cholla wood.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Anubias are the first obvious choice, there are a few varieties but for a small tank would advise to stay with the nana or petite types.

Another choice you could use is Java fern, there are a few varieties of this plant, windelov is a fairly nice plant imo and does not grow too big.

Last choice could be Java moss, grows easily in just about any condition and shrimps love this plant. Only thing is it will need a trim every now and again once it's established and it's a job to trim without getting bits all over the water. Practice makes perfect.

Thanks Charlie,

I'll take a look and see if those species of plants are available locally. If I can't find them I suppose I can order them. I've seen some plant bunches for sale on Amazon, not sure if my daughter wants snails tho.

:fish:

These plants I've mentioned are very easily available and a lot of LFS do stock them also very easy to order online.

Pretty common plants really, as well as not expensive at all.

Forgot to mention, all these plants can be tied or attached to wood, rocks or decor using line or glued on and do not need to be planted in any substrate at all.

You mean one of these?
biorb-baby-aquarium.jpg

These plants I've mentioned are very easily available and a lot of LFS do stock them also very easy to order online.

Pretty common plants really, as well as not expensive at all.

Forgot to mention, all these plants can be tied or attached to wood, rocks or decor using line or glued on and do not need to be planted in any substrate at all.

Thank you Charlie, does it need to be fishing String?

Ah, BiOrb Halo. 15 litres / 4 gals us.

Pretty small tank but perfect for a shrimp set up or maybe a betta splenden depending on the filter output but unfortunately too small for cherry barbs and glow fish (usually danios or tetras) :/

Last edited:
Thank you Charlie, does it need to be fishing String?

Not neccessarily, thread has been known to be used but these degrade fairly quickly so it depends on how quickly the plant roots attach to the wood/decor/rocks.

I tend to use either fishing line or cable ties or superglue (this can get messy so practice required :lol: )
Note - if using glue, be sure to use 100% Cyanoacrylate glue.

It's very small yes. But enough to get started on fish keeping. I've read all about its deficiencies and once I upgrade to a larger tank I'll keep it for babies or as a quarantine tank. It's too pretty not to display. And my daughter loves it.

I performed a water change last night and found 3 more baby shrimp I believe a new tank will come sooner rather than later Space is an issue tho, since we live in NYC.

Not neccessarily, thread has been known to be used but these degrade fairly quickly so it depends on how quickly the plant roots attach to the wood/decor/rocks.

I tend to use either fishing line or cable ties or superglue (this can get messy so practice required :lol: )
Note - if using glue, be sure to use 100% Cyanoacrylate glue.

I don't think I'll try glue :good:

I also agree with the others, that the tank is too small for those fish and hope they get a larger habitat soon ;)

But back to the original question: What is the current substrate? Plants don't need sand. They will happily grow in gravel too, provided they get light and nutritions.

I also agree with the others, that the tank is too small for those fish and hope they get a larger habitat soon ;)

But back to the original question: What is the current substrate? Plants don't need sand. They will happily grow in gravel too, provided they get light and nutritions.

I currently have the BiOrb ceramic media and a few rocks. I thought most aquatic plants needed sand/gravel for them to grow. I recently bought an Anubis nana plant and tied it to a cholla log. It's worked out nicely. I'll replace more of the fake decor a bit at a time.

And yes, I'm looking for a bigger tank nothing picked out yet. I'm in negotiations with my fiancé about where to put the new tank. ☺️ So once we choose a spot I'll know the size I can have, but I'm hoping for a 30 gallon... Wish me luck!

Good luck
That tank could work with a betta.

Something like this would be nice.
IMAGE NOT MY WORK

6-jpg.268586

Looks beautiful, I'm loving the look of the natural plants more n more. I don't want to get a Betta tho, it saddens me when I enter the LFS and see the tiny jars.... and so many of them. I'd rather not have that reminder.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back