Which Filter Is Best For 4ft Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

on my 4 foot / 72 gallon tank I run a pair of Fluval 405s

Generally the more filtration you have the better. Up to 10x your tank water volume per hour is not uncommon to see. Does depend on the fish that are in the tank as well though... some fish like a alot of flow, some dont.

Generally the more filtration you have the better.

sorry but this is horrible advice....

bacteria do not continue to form/grow....the amount of bacteria that form is relative to the tank demands....over filteration is nothing but a waste of money and a waste of hydro/power....despite what most people might think, yes you CAN overfilter.....having your entire bacteria colony localized in one filter is better than having it spread out into multiple filters....

Each to their own :) i am just saying i like to have 2 canisters running on a tank that is 4 feet or bigger. Although i did once have a 4 ft 55 gal tank that i only run 1 canister on for a while and it did cope pretty well. Gave me enough time to save up for the 2nd canister.

thank you guys for all the information and opinions guys, ended up buying eheim classic 2217.
Going to install it tomoro and shall let you know how it goes

One the the 2217's I bought was 2nd hand and one of the quick valves was broken so they have the hoses attached to the intake and outtake via a hose clamp so I couldn't prime it a normal way. The method I found ( which once done, never needs to be done again as long as the spraybar and intake are still in the aquarium ) is simple, after installing everything and opening the valves simple open the clips around the head of the canister and lift up slowly. This will create a suction force which will fill the canister. Either use a light or someone else's help to see just how high the water is rising inside, and before it fills it push the lid back down ( it'll have a little fight to it ) and reclamp the lid. I tried numerous times to just fill the filter with water and turn it on but it never worked. Once you have it primed though all you have to do is close the valves, loosen the connectors and pop the canister out. When you bring it back and theres no water in the canister, hook it back in and open the valves it'll take care of the rest

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back