Where to find ammonia for fish-less cycle?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PewPewChris

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Other than amazon...do you find any box stores or LFS that carry the brands for aquarium safe ammonia for cycling?

Trying to buy all the stuff tomorrow and want to start the cycle if at all possible.

I used to get it at kroger. But Fritz makes an ammonium powder that you can order it's a lot more stable, don't have to dodge fragrances

Do not get the Fritz dry ammonium chloride- it is enough to cycle 100s of tanks. Fritz also makes something called Fritz Aquatics Fishless Fuel. This is similar to Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride. Buy either of these online from Amazon.

Before such products were available I used plain old household ammonia with nothing else in it but some surfactants. It worked fine but back then we used a drops/10 gal. dosing method which was not really accurate.

Juts as an FYI i have the Fritz dry stuff because I have to cycle too many tanks or filters fast. But I also have the Dr. Tim's for use on only one or two tanks. When I used the last of my Dr. T's, I used his bottle to make my own solution from ro/di water and the Fritz powder. I got it pretty close to the same concentration as is in the Dr. Tim's.

Last edited:
Do not get the Fritz dry ammonium chloride- it is enough to cycle 100s of tanks. Fritz also makes something called Fritz Aquatics Fishless Fuel. This is similar to Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride. Buy either of these online from Amazon.

Before such products were available I used plain old household ammonia with nothing else in it but some surfactants. It worked fine but back then we used a drops/10 gal. dosing method which was not really accurate.

Juts as an FYI i have the Fritz dry stuff because I have to cycle too many tanks or filters fast. But I also have the Dr. Tim's for use on only one or two tanks. When I used the last of my Dr. T's, I used his bottle to make my own solution from ro/di water and the Fritz powder. I got it pretty close to the same concentration as is in the Dr. Tim's.
Got the new tank up and running this afternoon/eve...first canister filter and I also installed a UVC so took a good bit longer than I thought.

Fritz's Fishless Fuel will arrive at my door tomorrow and the cycle will begin.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back