When Will My Guppy Give Birth

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Joinerlavin

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have 2 guppies in my tank, a male and a female

The female is pregnant, pretty fat and got a big black spot on her behind.

When will i know she is ready to give birth as i wouldnt want to miss it really. I am not breeding the guppies I will just let nature take its course and they will probably all get eaten by my angel fish.

fishy2.jpg

fishy1.jpg

if you could post a pic that would help. But if it is really dark and she looks like she is about to explode then i would say less than a week

i cant get a good enough picture, I will try thoe, if i look really closely at the black, I can see individual black balls (tiny)

A good way to tell when they are about to drop the fry is the get a white spot where the fry are going to come out because it is opening up :)

that seems like a good indication to look out for, should I put her in a breeding net and take her out when she is done and raise the fry and give them away to the lfs, or just let the other fish eat them?

just tried taking a pic, no luck, noticed the white bit on her backside thoe, the only way i can explain what it looks like is that it looks like the start of a white fish poo lol but its not because she was doing a fish poo on the other side whilse i saw the white nib bit on one side lol

5teady has a sticky with loads of pics about livebearer pregnancy and the stages see if you can track it down
regards scot :)

I think I saw that one but it had pics of drawings of fish not real photos. Its hard to tell, should I put her in the breeding net for a day or 2????

you could do (ive never breed livebearers by intention)
this might stress her and cause her to abort the fry hopefully someone else can advise you
regards scot :)

doesnt seem like many people want to give advice today thoe haha thanks

people are still at work or school i imagine the board isnt to busy at the mo im sure later when peeps have took there shoes off and had their dinners someone will help
scot :)

how do I add pictures on here??? I have just took 2 and resized them for web page display but dont know how to upload them????

The way to post a picture is to open an account on some place like Photobucket. Once you do you can load the pictures there directly with very little trouble. When you want to post a picture here, you copy the address line that starts out as and ends with a similar symbol. Then when you get to a point in your text where you want your picture, you paste that line right into the message as if it were just more text, like this harbor seal picture.
[img]http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll251/Oldman1947/HarborSeal800.jpg
If you right click on that, or any other image, you can look at the "properties" and find out what the real picture location is and lots of other information such as the picture size stored on line and the image type.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back