When I Shake Tube Some Water Comes Out...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

watertown28

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have been using the API test items. I have a API master test kit.

I noticed that you are not to put your finger on the top of tube when shaking. I just started doing that because every time I shake the tubes, some of water comes out. Is this normal and if so, does it hurt the test results?

Is that really in the instructions? I can only think that that is so you don't break the glass. Otherwise, I see no reason a finger on the end should affect any results. Assuming you put the right amounts in the tube, when shaking if some liquid comes out, that shouldn't be a big issue either, though -- all the concentrations should still be right.

Those instructions, I don't believe are clear. I've come to the conclusion that they want you to use the cap. Instead of using your finger as a cap. I'm sure skin and salt from your finger will give false results.

You should definitely use the cap for shaking the tube, otherwise skin particles and different amounts of liquid can change the results.

Plus some of the chemicals in the test kits are very unlikely to be good for your fingers.

teehee yeah it just means use the cap instead of your finger :p the wording is dumb though!

teehee yeah it just means use the cap instead of your finger :p the wording is dumb though!
okay so they just mean use the cap...which I was doing anyways. I still have problems with a little bit coming out no matter how hard I try not to. This stuff is the last stuff I want to sit on my skin to say the least.

Yeah I get a little bit as well but if I hold the cap on really firmly it's not so much of a problem!

Yeah I get a little bit as well but if I hold the cap on really firmly it's not so much of a problem!
yeah I realized that most of it comes out after I release the cap from the build up on top... the little pool that forms when you shake.

Plus some of the chemicals in the test kits are very unlikely to be good for your fingers.

good point. There are acids and caustic chemicals in those bottles. I concur that the instructions are probably so that you don't use your finger as the de facto cap.

I find my api test tubes do that aswell so I have started to just tip it upside down and back again a few times it mixes the liquids fine and I have always got accurate results

The API test kit comes with soft plastic caps made to prevent water coming out of the tube. Once the cap is in place, I hold it there with a finger to prevent it working loose as I shake the tube.
I am going to move this to the equipment section, it is not a scientific question by any stretch.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back