What's Your Dechlorination Technique

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DaveA76

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi was just wondering how you dechlorinate your tank water as heard many different methods

i do it a bucket at a time to which mine is 14L and add 2.5ml of dechlor just before it full then let it sit for 5 mins

I add a capful of prime to the surface of the water.  Then using a python hose connected to the sink, I refill the tank.  At the beginning of the fill,  I move the hose along the entire surface of the water to stir up the dechlorinator.   Then I rest the hose at the edge of the tank and leave it till the tank is filled.   Works for me.

I also use the single bucket method Dave, I really think the method depends on the number of tanks you have to maintain and their size. For smaller tanks the one bucket at a time method works well, however I have to be very carefully with dosing the dechlor. A bad experience with API tap safe (Cant remember the exact name) it was my fault and I was using a little bit over the required dose in each bucket just to be 'safe' and this added up after a few buckets of water and I had an algae problem on my hands :( thankfully that was a long time ago now though! Also I would be interested to hear what dechlor you use? I don't really have any favourites myself

DaveA76 said:
hi was just wondering how you dechlorinate your tank water as heard many different methods

i do it a bucket at a time to which mine is 14L and add 2.5ml of dechlor just before it full then let it sit for 5 mins

Dechlorinators (= water conditioners) work instantly, so there is no need to let the water sit.  You still can, but just want to let you know it is not necessary.

I use a bucket for my smallest tank (10 gallons) but for the others up to the 115g I use a Python connected to the faucet.  The conditioner can be added to the tank directly when you start to fill.

Someone mentioned overdosing, and this is a concern.  Most manufacturers will say the product can be overdosed without problems but this is misleading.  Conditioners add chemicals to the water, and TDS (total dissolved solids).  There is no reason to add more of these than necessary, as some fish can be adversely affected by TDS in particular.  The conditioner will not work any faster or better with more of it, and it wastes money.

Byron.

I have a huge plastic drum of water in my covered backyard. It has a fine mesh net as cover to prevent anything from coming in while at the same time letting all the gases seep out. I just let the water stand there like forever and just replenish it every week. I have lots of non-fish pets (land crab, hermit crabs, axolotls, turtles, aquatic snakes & lizards, snails) requiring dechlorinated water and I can't be putting dechlorinating stuff all the time. In case you're thinking, No. Pesticides are unlikely. I don't do insecticides inside my property and my nextdoor neighbor is about a hundred meters away from my house lol

Neil's method can work depending where you live.  Chlorine will out-gas in 24 hours.  It can be out-gassed by briskly shaking the water, obviously not practical with gallons of water.

I don't know where the OP (DaveA76) lives, but for those in North America, this method will not always work.  Many water authorities now add chloramine, and it does not out-gas.  A product that detoxifies chlorine/chloramine is mandatory if you have chloramine added to the water.  I've no idea if this is used in the UK or Europe, or elsewhere, but it is common in many areas of NA.

Byron.

I used to dechlor in buckets.  Now my tanks are mature I just fill them with cold water straight from the hose and squirt the required amount of prime under the water spray.  I might have to revert to buckets if the outside tap freezes up again this winter :p

Byron said:
A product that detoxifies chlorine/chloramine is mandatory if you have chloramine added to the water.  I've no idea if this is used in the UK or Europe, or elsewhere, but it is common in many areas of NA.

Chloramine is common in the UK too.  I know we have it in our water supply.

Most reactions

trending

Back