What’s new (fish related chat only)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I did a bit of an experiment with the java ferns in my paludarium. I planted several of them just below water level to see which way they prefer to grow. So far, all of them are growing up out of the water rather than under the surface. Interesting.

The tea plants seem to be slowly dying off. They've actually lasted longer than expected, since everyone told me that tea hates having wet feet. I'm going to start replacing them with anubias "coffeefolia," which looks a lot like tea but should grow a lot better emergently.

I did a bit of an experiment with the java ferns in my paludarium. I planted several of them just below water level to see which way they prefer to grow. So far, all of them are growing up out of the water rather than under the surface. Interesting.

The tea plants seem to be slowly dying off. They've actually lasted longer than expected, since everyone told me that tea hates having wet feet. I'm going to start replacing them with anubias "coffeefolia," which looks a lot like tea but should grow a lot better emergently.
Can’t wait to see how it goes!

I think I've finally dealt with my pest snails. I don't mind a few. But my tank was lousy with them. I think it was a combination of removing some when I did water changes, adding assassin snails, adding Amano shrimp to outcompete them for food and most importantly, cutting back on overfeeding. I barely see any in the tank now

My Amano shrimp didn't handle the snails, but the Assassins are doing the job. I'm not overfeeding.

I like to go to LFS' just to window shop. I usually pick up something. I asked for MTS. They tried to sell me pond snails. On the plus side, I saw they had one of those newer kind of betta displays where each fish gets a little tank with it's own filter. I'm always glad to see that as opposed to those tiny bowls. I ended up getting a marimo moss ball.

When I had java ferns come out of the water, they got crinkly and brown on the edges.

I like to go to LFS' just to window shop. I usually pick up something. I asked for MTS. They tried to sell me pond snails. On the plus side, I saw they had one of those newer kind of betta displays where each fish gets a little tank with it's own filter. I'm always glad to see that as opposed to those tiny bowls. I ended up getting a marimo moss ball.
I used to love to browse live stores when I lived in Ohio and Texas. Unfortunately Sheridan WY has no such stores. I don't think that Petco counts. ;) Shoot, the store in Ohio even had a Leopard Shark. Cool critter that will restrict growth to about 6 inches per 50 gallons. I wanted one of these SO bad but never did as you can't have anything else in the tank. They will kill a grouper much larger than themselves.

Sadly, in 2017, hundreds of these beautiful beasties, along with bat rays, died in San Francisco Bay apparently due to a parasitic brain infection. :)

shark.jpg

Discovered I've got some baby java fernlets growing off my existing ones during a water change today but am the least green fingered person ever so just left them where they were. Will sort them out next time.

We've had some work done this morning - the concertina door across the kitchen cupboard broke so it's been replaced with a door to match the rest of the internal doors. The same man who fitted the rest of the doors arrived to fit the new one, and I already knew that he's a marine fish keeper. After a chat about fish, just as he was leaving he gave me a brand new 50 watt heater, just the right size for my shrimp tank. He said someone had given him several of them but he uses a 500 watt heater in his marine sump so he's no use for 50 watt heaters. I know that these small heaters fail more often than large ones, so I now have a spare in the cupboard :)

Behold, the suspended animation cory

Attachments

• 20230914_151938.jpg
    20230914_151938.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 20

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back