What’s new (fish related chat only)

Setting up a 10 gallon as a quarantine tank. I had two old 10's in the house here. But when I went to prepare them, I found that the glass was chipped on the corner of one and the rim on the other was damaged. They would have probably still worked. But I checked and Petco was doing its tank sale. So I just got a brand new 10 gallon for $9.99. I was also able to pick up a glass lid, a gravel vac for use only with the quarantine tank and a little piece of driftwood. Yesterday, I got some sand, a ten gallon bucket, some posterboard for the back and a power strip for the plugs. I have lights, a heater, and some digital thermometers arriving by Amazon today. I'll use live floating plants and some plastic plants in there. I have a sponge filter that has been going in an established tank for a few months now so that's ready to go. Hopefully I can have it all set up and get the new fish by the end of the week. I'm planning for Saturday to go to the fish store.

Yesterday was a big aquarium day for me. I redid the decor on my 5 gallon betta tank, got a new betta, and started setting up a ten gallon in the living room.
The new betta is younger than most pet store splendens, but I still think he's gorgeous! He's a blue mustard gas.
For this ten gallon, I'm thinking male guppies or endlers, and perhaps some mini cories. My dad and I found some really cool driftwood on a hike that I'm glad to use in an aquarium!
IMG_0212.jpg
IMG_0209.jpg

Yesterday was a big aquarium day for me. I redid the decor on my 5 gallon betta tank, got a new betta, and started setting up a ten gallon in the living room.
The new betta is younger than most pet store splendens, but I still think he's gorgeous! He's a blue mustard gas.
For this ten gallon, I'm thinking male guppies or endlers, and perhaps some mini cories. My dad and I found some really cool driftwood on a hike that I'm glad to use in an aquarium!
View attachment 314977View attachment 314978
Aww he's beautiful 🥰

Yep, a pretty fishy day yesterday. Can't wait to get some water and plants in that 10g later today. My paludarium is starting to get itself situated plant-wise, too, although several key plants are maddeningly slow in getting here. The ones I have are starting to grow, though. Should be ready for fish in a few more weeks.

Wow! Love his colors!!

I think sewing machines and aquariums may meet if I repaint a fairly bad sewing machine cabinet (cutout doesn't match most machines) and put a 15 gallon on it with my trilineatus corydoras catfish. Selling off my Oceanic 55 for $20 - I don't have time to do seals or space to set it up. I bring my succulents in during winter and set them on my spare 55 stand. And I can't think of a fish I want. I've already kept a lot of them and I don't have the time for tricky, or sick fish from the pet store.

I got all set up for some tank repair today. I need to get some silicone, then do some testing for leaks on 4 25 gallon tanks. They're oldies, but I hope I can make them goodies.

I should wait til the days get over 10c, so I can doing the sealing outside, but that could be another month and I feel the need for a project coming on.

I got all set up for some tank repair today. I need to get some silicone, then do some testing for leaks on 4 25 gallon tanks. They're oldies, but I hope I can make them goodies.

I should wait til the days get over 10c, so I can doing the sealing outside, but that could be another month and I feel the need for a project coming on.
I have started finding other winter projects. Still need to grease the bearings in this one

Attachments

• 20230301_221339.jpg
    20230301_221339.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 21
I got a couple more assassin snails yesterday from an LFS. I wasn't planning on quarantining them but then I saw that the tank they were in at the store was covered in duckweed. I expressed my concerns to the employee. "That stuff is like herpes. Once you get it, you're never getting rid of it." And he was cool about it.
They stood then to me in a little plastic cup with a lid. I thought it looked like the kind you'd give a urine sample in. It could well have been, only repurposed.
So I got home and despite the employees best efforts, there were still a couple of duckweed leaves floating at the top. I got rid of them and put them in a jar I was using to keep some spare java moss with some Anacharis and an air stone. I double checked for any traces of duckweed and didn't find any.

I got a couple more assassin snails yesterday from an LFS. I wasn't planning on quarantining them but then I saw that the tank they were in at the store was covered in duckweed. I expressed my concerns to the employee. "That stuff is like herpes. Once you get it, you're never getting rid of it." And he was cool about it.
They stood then to me in a little plastic cup with a lid. I thought it looked like the kind you'd give a urine sample in. It could well have been, only repurposed.
So I got home and despite the employees best efforts, there were still a couple of duckweed leaves floating at the top. I got rid of them and put them in a jar I was using to keep some spare java moss with some Anacharis and an air stone. I double checked for any traces of duckweed and didn't find any.
I've found a few bits of duckweed in my new tank. I am removing it as I find it, and hopefully I can keep it from getting established. Haven't seen any for a few days.
constantvigilance.png

My grandfather had a similar sewing machine. It was powered by a foor treddle.

I have started finding other winter projects. Still need to grease the bearings in this one
For some reason my projects have to be fish ones. I could take that beautiful sewing machine and lose half the parts in minutes.

I'm waiting for a few dry days so I can bash out the walls in a shed and turn it into a greenhouse. That I can do. And I have to fence my new veggie garden to keep my deer buddies out. There, my fishrack 2x4 skills will be useful. But motors that call for fine motor skills? Nope. Lost cause.

I've found a few bits of duckweed in my new tank. I am removing it as I find it, and hopefully I can keep it from getting established. Haven't seen any for a few days.
constantvigilance.png
Doesn't seem like a good practice for an aquarium shop. But it might not have been intentional. Maybe they had some duckweed for sale that spread to other tanks.

I have changed my mind. I think I am going to get someone to help me shift the tank and I'm going to do seals, maybe paint a background on it. And set up a sand bottom species tank for red head tapajos - 55 gallons with a lot of sponge filters, I'd guess I could keep 2 or 3. Don't know where I am putting the succulents next winter, but I spent thousands fixing the foundation so I can have a 2nd 55 now.

Most reactions

Back