What Veg/fruit Or Herbs And Stuff Are You Growing This Year?

Reaction score
Just curious, but what veg or fruit are people here planning on growing this year? I've already sewn some Beefheart and Moneymaker tomato's and some spring onions, and are planning on also growing various traditional varieties of sweat peas and peppers, pak choi and spinache if i have the space as as well this year :good: . Might do potatos and carrots and well...Its always nice to have home grown veg and stuff in your cooking :good: .
With herbs and stuff, i already have loadsa parsely plants sprouting taken from seeds of last years parsely plants, want to grow thyme and posibly other herbs and things too...So many decisions, so little space :p !

Well our summer is about to end, but we grew this summer tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, garlic, zuchinis and beans.

This winter, we will be growing pumpkin, silverbeet, spinach, garlic, zuchini and a variety of herbs.

One problem, we have water restrictions in Melbourne, so no watering gardens, so all of our vegies have died off in the last month. My husband is going to be connecting hoses to our ensuite shower and sink/basin and everytime we use it, the left over water will water our vegies.

There is nothing better than home grown vegies. My grandparent inlaws are keen vegie growers and I love going over there for a roast. Everything on the plate except for the meat is home grown. Yum.

I have an 8x8 garden box in the back yard, last year was all veggies and herbs but this year
I went full on flowers. I planted 4 hostas, (which have been split so many times but still come up huge)
swamp milkweed (a butterfly plant) and tons of hot pink petunias, white impatiens, lavender phlox,
and white assylium. Last fall I had planted bulbs up in the front and some are starting to sprout... gladiolas
(not up yet) and hyacinth. I have to say I am definately digging the flowers this year although I'm still going to plant some lettuce and carrots for my bun bun Fritz. He was in heaven all last summer with all the fresh veggies! :nod:

I have a couple of garlic bulbs sprouting... no, they don't stink, haha. I have a pequin pepper plant from last year, but no peppers yet. And now I have some very fragrant, wonderful mint too.
corkysm60.gif

We aren't growing so much this year as we always end up overdoing it!
We are growing a few chillies, tomatoes, carrots, radishes, spring onions and herbs.

Cherry Tomatoes, Basil, and Spearmint. I don't have any gardens so I plant in 4 foot by 1 foot planters on my deck. The Cherry Tomatoes will be potted in giant hodgepodge pots. About 2 feet in diameter and about a foot and a half deep. Now that I think of it, I have an extra planter open...Maybe ill grow flat leaf parsley too.

Hm well the tomatoes are growing nicely now, although they're still really small though. Spring onions are also growing nicely too, and i have loads of parsely at the moment- some of it is self-seeded, while some i deliberately grew, i wasn't counting on so many self-seeded parsely plants though growing this year so now i have tons of young parsely plants.
Haven't got around to do doing the peppers though, i'm wondering if its too late to plant them now? However, i have two cucumber plants right now which are growing really nicely which i'm really chuffed about (they are indoors at the moment, but i think i'll move them outside later on as it gets hotter and drier) , really looking to later on this summer where i can start having salads with home grown spring onions, tomatoes and cucumber ^_^ ! Makes me want to start growing lettuce now...I will probably plant the pak choi soon and perhaps spinache later on.
I also noticed a massive potatoe plant growing in the garden not long ago, it was a potatoe which originally sprouted in a bag in one of my kitchen cubboards which i took pity on (have no idea why though) and planted in the back garden and then kinda forgot about. Now its start growing really large again this year and it looks like the original potatoes multiplied into at least 3 potatoes, which is cool. Dunno if i'll eat it or not though, it actually makes a very nice plant to look at in the garden in its own way at the moment ^_^ .

Mum is planting:
Tomatoes, potatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, spinach, green beans, peas, apples, pears, plums, figs, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, lingonberries, carrots, radishes, hot peppers, squash, pumpkins, beets, fennel, parsley, various types of flowers, asparagus, leeks, kale, onions... everything but corn. :shout:

This year Mum and Gran have:
Peach
Plum
Mango
Gauva - all from stones

Peppers
Potatoes
Onions
Carrots
Spinach
Methi
Garlic - Helps to keep aphids off the roses
Chic Peas
Mustard
Coriander
Mint
Runner beans
Peas
Pumpkin
Marrow

well i might be using hydroponics to grow something :hey: dont know if its edible though :D

OK, enough of this winter stuff. The snow needs to go away. :crazy:

This year I'm going to grow Thai Dragon peppers on my balcony again. Man are they HOT! :blush:
I like to dry them and add them to peppercorns in a pepper mill.

When the time is right i'll be planting theese fruit's and veggies:
Tomatoes
Potatoes
Carrots
Radishes
Pumkin
Green Beens
Bell Peppers
Strawberries( ordering some from Burpee)
Orange tree( in our schools green house right now)
Blueberries
Lettuce
Onions( looking for the big onions this year, not those little dinky ones)
corn( maybe)

That;s all i can think of right now!

Most reactions

Back