What to feed

PrObLeM_ChIlD

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
so ya, i dunno what to fed them, now they are eatting frozen bloodworms, brineshrimp live, another type of frozen shrimp and the ocasional snail... (do they eat the snails shell too?).. but some of the puffers i last bought aren't getting chubby in the tummy like my others... Can i feed them feeder shrimp? what else will they eat.. thanks

Sounds like they have a good diet now, maybe try some live blackworms as a treat. As for snails they have to have them to keep their teeth ground down, try out a dozen a week to start and see how they do. You will see some empty shells around but the smaller ones get eaten. I add some ghost Shrimp once in a while, but I usually find them floating dead in the tank, I think they are too big for the Dwarfs.
Puffers are prone to internal parasites, if they are eating with the rest but not getting fat it sounds to me like your skinny ones may have some. Try medicating the food with "Discomed" by Aquatronics.

also where would i go for the "Discomed" by Aquatronics will petsmart/petco sell it.. or should i go to my lfs to find it.. or is there somewhere online to get it? how do they get internal paricites? am i doing something wrong?

Most chain stores like Petco will carry both Discomed and probably blackworms (you probably have to ask for the blackworms). Be careful to rinse the blackworms before feeding them to the puffers, as with all live foods, unless you raise them yourself there is the risk of introducing disease/parasites.

how do they get internal paricites? am i doing something wrong?
No you are doing fine, most puffers are wild caught and come in with the parasites.

Most reactions

Back