What To Do With Shrimp Molt

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

IHaveADogToo

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Should one go out of their way to remove shrimp molt from a tank? Is it okay to just leave the molt in the tank until your routine water change, and then if it's still there suck it up with the vac? I've read that the molt contains calcium and the shrimp will eat it and it will help their new shell harden. But I've also read that just like any other decaying organic matter, it can release ammonia into the tank. I've seen molt disappear within a day, but I've also seen molt stick around all week until I vacuum it up.

Recommendations?

Last edited:
Should one go out of their way to remove shrimp molt from a tank?

No, Leave it in the tank, the shrimp will eat the moult.

Well, there seems to be some debate about that.

Shrimps DO eat moults as does contain extra protein, calcium and nutrients but not always and leaving moults to rot is deemed by many to not being a particularly good shrimp keeping practice.

I, for one, do remove any moults I see if not eaten after 24 hours.

Having said that, I have at least 50 odd red cherry and 6 amano shrimps and only seem to remove the odd moult every now and again so am sure have missed removing many moults over the years!! :lol:

leaving moults to rot is deemed by many to not being a particularly good shrimp keeping practice.

I respectfully and strongly disagree, because the exoskeletons actually hold a lot of valuable minerals that will replenish within the water column.

I have over 200 RCS in a 2 foot tank I am also looking into keeping Bee shrimp and have joined 1 or 2 specialty shrimp forums to learn more about shrimp, and have never seen anybody suggest removing the moults.

When one is planing to buy shrimp that are worth $80 each one will do a lot of research.

Big water changes are a NO NO, you need RO water specialty substrates, Remineralizing salts, TDS meter, very low kh/gh, even special food like Bacter Ae.

No, Leave it in the tank, the shrimp will eat the moult.

What if it’s been sitting there for more than a week?

(The longest I’ve let one go is 3 days. I couldn’t stand to look at it anymore.)

You must not have many snails in your tank then. The molted shells I see don't last more than a day. Either the shrimp are seen gnawing on it or the snails swarm and eat it all up. I never bother removing them. Maybe by accident I suck pieces up during a water change but otherwise they get recycled into the aquarium.

shrimp that are worth $80 each
Good Lord, I just choked on my coffee!!!
I spent 8 on a sunkist shrimp and felt like I'd gotten robbed!

That said, I do LOVE my shrimp! And I never remove the moults. They always get eaten, if not by the shrimp, by the nerite snail.

Good Lord, I just choked on my coffee!!!
I spent 8 on a sunkist shrimp and felt like I'd gotten robbed!

That said, I do LOVE my shrimp! And I never remove the moults. They always get eaten, if not by the shrimp, by the nerite snail.

Check this out.
https://www.sydneydiscusworld.com/golden-eye-blue-tiger-shrimp-2-cm/

The shrimp bellow are bred by award winning German shrimp breeder Monika Pohler (Shrimp Art),

Please dont choke on that coffee Jen or I might have to give you mouth to mouth resuscitation.

**(Sexed pair) Red Safari Tiger ‘Dancing Man’ (Black Grade) Price is $200/pair **SOLD OUT**
**(Sexed pair) Black Safari Tiger ‘Dancing Man’ (Black Grade)
Price is $150/pair.
**(3 unsexed juvies) Black Safari Tiger ‘Dancing Man’ (Silver Grade) *Includes 1 hand made Silver 'Shrimp Art' Serial Numbered identity Coin. Price is $175 ea or 3/$470 (unsexed juvies)
**(3 unsexed juvies) Red Safari Tiger ‘Dancing Man’ (Silver Grade) *Includes 1 hand made Silver 'Shrimp Art' Serial Numbered identity Coin. Price is $225 ea or 3/$650 (unsexed juvies)

Last edited:
I don't. I have one nerite snail.
My nerite is a little piggy and will eat anything, including moults, if the shrimp leave him any (they're usually the ones to eat it first).

Check this out.
Holy Moly, that's a stunning little shrimp!

The shrimp bellow are bred by award winning German shrimp breeder Monika Pohler (Shrimp Art),
I like the ones that come with a silver coin! haha, that's funny. .....and insane.

Please dont choke on that coffee Jen or I might have to give you mouth to mouth resuscitation.
I'd die by the time you got here...aren't you across the globe from me?!

Most reactions

trending

Back