What the <insert expletive> is this!?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chkltcow

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just a few minutes ago I was crouched down looking in my planted 55g... when this "thing" swam out from under a rock. I jumped back, fell over on my back, and immediately reached on the table for my camera.

wth1.jpg

wth2.jpg

So what the heck is this thing, where the heck could it have come from, and is it harmful? After I took the pic, I reached for my net.... but it wasn't there anymore. My nets were in my other room where I tore down my 20g last night. By the time I ran in there and came back, it had disappeared again.

spAcE and Samage cleared it up for me on IRC just after I posted this. It's a dragonfly nymph. Samage says they're predatory and can eat small fish, which would explain why I'm missing 4 neon tetras. -_- :unsure: :-(

Well with the help of my nephew we managed to net it. Quick little bugger he was... but we'll see how quick he is in my septic tank. Eat MY fish, will ya!!! :angry:

Yeah, as best I can figure it either came in with a bunch of java moss where it could easily hide.... or on an amazon sword plant sent to me by a member from another board. Most likely the java moss though.... big clump that would be easy for that thing to hide in.

What amazes me is that they live underwater for over a year! Who knows how long that thing would be around if I hadn't caught it and disposed of it!!!

Glad that you got it out of there. They will eat small fish and it's not a pretty sight. Great that you caught it on film...

ALASKA

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back