What should I put in my tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Vics78

Reaction score
Hi

We acquired a tropical tank 145 litres and had set up for about 5 months.

Currently we have 8 Serpae Tetras, 6 Gouramis and 2 Angel Fish, a couple of Cone Snails and 2 live plants.

We ideally want a feature fish in the tank but unsure what else will go in.
We’ve also been told not to put Mollies in with the angel fish - any advice greatly appreciated.

What feature fish would people put in?
What other smaller fish would you recommend?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Angelfish usually make a good display fish when mature. And depending on what gouramis you have, some of the bigger species can look impressive when mature.

Watch the serape tetras because they are renown fin nippers :)

Last edited:
That tank is roughly 40gals and really having 6 gourami along with the angels is a bit much unless they are one of the smaller species. I'd say just the pair of angels is plenty enough of a center piece fish as they get pretty big and flashy.

As for smaller fish to add, this depends on what species of gourami you have. In a 40gal tank I go with the angels, 2 schools of mid/top dwelling fish and then a school of bottom dwellers such as corydoras or kuhli loaches. I'd only have bottom dwellers on a sand substrate though as their underbellies are usually soft and easily scraped.

Thank You for your responses - very helpful.

Welcome to TFF.

You have not mentioned the gourami species, that can make a big difference with whether or not they will continue to "get along" not only with the angelfish but with each other.

You certainly have no space for more fish, and you do in fact have a pending issue with what you have. I realize this may have worked for five months, but I can all but guarantee this is not going to continue much longer. The Serpae Tetra are nippy fish, and should never be combined with sedate fish such as angelfish or gourami; this is only asking for trouble down the road if not already.

I may be able to suggest options once I know the gourami species. As for the angelfish, remember they will attain six inches in body length with a vertical fin span of 8 inches, so they are pretty big fish. As a "pair," this will not last if both are males; two females have a better chance of tolerating each other in such small (to the fish) quarters, and a male/female pair might ore might not, depending upon the individual fish and whether or not they bond.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back