What Plants Have You Find Safe From Severum

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Reaction score
What plants are not yummy to severums. I know they like to snack on plants. I found java fern, onion plant, and crypt. Even the
Anubias is not safe she eats the new growth. I thought I would try a sword plant out. I have a feeling it will be lunch. But we will see.

Any one know of other plants that severums don't care for?

The only ones that mine didnt eat was anubias :lol: rips it up occassionally and now the two new Sev's are joining in, but dont eat it, just spit it around the tank, its a game.

Swords, vallis, hygrophilia, java fern, frogbit, all was eaten, I gave up.

agree with minx, anubias is pretty safe. floating pplarts the like to munch on but thats quite funny to watch as i approach he seems to pull a face like "ahh you caught me sorry" <<< wow i need to get out more!

mine used to eat everything to the pointthat i gave up and bought silk plants. however i recently bought a couple of bunches of elodea densa specificly for him to nibble on and ironicly hes totally ignored it and its growing like wildfire.

but with sevs being sevs i rekon he knows and is leaving it deliberately!! im sure i i bought it to try and grow he would of mullered it by now :hey:

The only cichlid proof plants are artificial ones! You can get some very realistic silk ones that float in the current like live ones but won't get eaten. I use silk plants in my cichlid tank -no hassle and much cheaper than constantly replacing live plants that get eaten.

I think I will get silk plants and mix in some crypt for my 100+ gal when I get it this summer. I was trying to figure out how to decorate it. So far I have a few plants that are safe for now. I'm thinking of getting one more severum a gold or red spot when I get the larger tank so just checking. Thanks guys.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back