What live food can I feed my tropical fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

KindaFishy

Reaction score
Hello, Iā€™m new to this thread and I was wondering what kind of live food I can feed my tropical fish because after a while flakes and pellets get pretty boring!

Hereā€™s my stocking:
1 dwarf Gourami
1 Bolivian ram
1 German blue ram
7 guppies
10 neon tetras
1 Bristol nose eater

More information:
Cycled, 29-gallon

You can buy frozen or freeze dried food. In either case soak in tank water before feeding to defrost or rehydrate. As with any food be careful not to overfeed as a full cube of either will probably be way too much.

My fish like bloodworm and tubiflex.

Besides frozen brineshrimp, bloodworms, daphnia & mysis shrimp, you can feed frozen but defrosted prawn, fish, squid and other marine foods. Just buy a pack of frozen prawn (raw or cooked) and keep it in the freezer. Take one out and defrost it. Remove the shell and head and pull the gut out. Then use a pr of scissors to cut it into little pieces and offer a few bits at a time to the fish.

Live brineshrimp, adults and newly hatched, can be fed and are easy to culture at home in a bucket of salt water.

If you have roses in the garden, get a plastic icecream bucket and put it under the rose buds, then tap the aphids off the roses into the bucket.

Small flies, moths & mosquitoes can be fed as long as they are free of chemicals and pesticides.

Weevil larvae can be cultured in buckets of flour, rice or any grain.

Mozzie larvae are regularly found in buckets of water with leaves in, sitting outside under a tree. They should be scooped out with a fine mesh net and rinsed then fed to the fish so they don't turn into adult mozzies and spread disease.

Bloodworm (Chiromonid midge larvae) are often found in the same containers of water as mozzie larvae. The bloodworms live on the bottom and are red, whereas the mozzie larvae are black and sit under the surface of the water.

You can culture daphnia and rotifers in containers of green water. Green water is simply single celled algae that has multiplied until the water looks like green soup.

Microworms, grindal/ grindle worms, white worms & earthworms can be fed to fish. Earthworms are probably too big for your fish but the other types can be fed.

Fish eggs and baby fish are regularly eaten by other fish but probably not what you want to hear.

Baby shrimp are readily taken by fish too. Glass shrimp are tough and live in most aquariums, and if you have a group they will breed and the young can be eaten by the fish.

Last edited:
adult fishes will eat newly hatched brineshrimp too. I use to feed it to my rainbowfish and cichlids and most of those fish ranged between 3 & 6 inches long.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back