What kind of Algae is this?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Elisabeth83

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I noticed in my 30 gallon I have some funny looking algae sprouting from one of my silk plants. Theres only about 3 of them. They kinda look like little trees or kinda like a clump of hair :p

I did a search on google for algae but there was much stuff on algae I didn't know where to begin :blink:

Anyone know what kind it is? Good or Bad? Why it appears?

http://www.lissie.scorpiondata.com/100_17911.JPG

Guess I am just curious ;)

I had that on my live plants, had my lights on for 12 hours a day non-stop.

I think it's just a type of hair algae. Best way to remove it is to get a cotton bud (q-tip) put it in the middle of the algae and wind it round... it'll take a few minutes to get most of it. After that, lower the time your lights are on. I have mine on for 9 hours... using the siesta method suggested by 'gf225'

I have excellent results using a siesta; 4 hours on, 3 off, 5 on (9 hours total) working back from when I go to bed using a timer. It's important to have some light in the tank during the siesta period i.e. diffused daylight through a window. The plants 'think' this cloud cover but the algae is less responsive.

This cleared up all that stuff within a week! Just keep using the cotton bud to wind up any long bits. That should sort you out

haha no it isn't a hairball ;) There were 3 of them growing from the leaves of my silk plant. I took one of them off...it easily came off just using my fingers. It's really cool Algae...it seems to kinda filter the water using all the long "hairs" stuff gets stuck in them.

I'll try to cut down on the lights...mine are usually on for about 12 hours a day..sometimes less but usually around 12 hours.

Thanks emo for your tips :thumbs:

It looks like staghorn algae. Cutting down light using an ON-OFF appraoch as suggested would help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back