What Kind Of Algae Is This?

MNS30

Reaction score
I have done some research and I think that it might be diatoms but does anyone else thing different? Or how to get rid of these diatoms?

This tank is currently a 10 gallon (i use this one for my dorm room, I have the 30 at home). It houses a young GSP and 1 ghost shrimp. It has fluorescent lighting, I do weekly 10-15% water changes, It is a brackish tank (3 tablespoons marine salt per gallon), I check the ammonia and pH levels weekly and they're all good. I have some java moss in there too. I noticed though that I did not have this algae issue until I had added the java moss in.

I was going to upload a picture but I see that I can't upload one directly to this post. But it's almost copper colored. It does grow on my glass but I scrape it off. It is growing on my decor and on the couple artificial plants that I do have. It wipes off easily (except on my fabric plant)

Can you post a photo so we can see the algae in question?

When you want to show people your gorgeous tank, or your favorite fish, there are a few ways to do this. The first way, and probably the easiest way, is to go to the Member�s Aquarium and Fish Pictures section, and start a new topic there. Then click the 'Browse' button, on the bottom of the New topic page, and find the picture you want to show. You can add a few pictures per post. Another option is to use a photo hosting site, such as www.photobucket.com or http://imageshack.us/ . Those are free hosting sites. Once you have your pictures on there, you can copy the URL of the picture

When you want to show people your gorgeous tank, or your favorite fish, there are a few ways to do this. The first way, and probably the easiest way, is to go to the Member�s Aquarium and Fish Pictures section, and start a new topic there. Then click the 'Browse' button, on the bottom of the New topic page, and find the picture you want to show. You can add a few pictures per post. Another option is to use a photo hosting site, such as www.photobucket.com or http://imageshack.us/ . Those are free hosting sites. Once you have your pictures on there, you can copy the URL of the picture

http://s885.photobucket.com/albums/ac59/cheerinsoftballer/

There are 3 photos, the first shows the side of my decor that doesnt have any algae on it and the other half shows the side that has it.

That actually doesn't look like diatoms to me. More like a common micro algae.
How old is the tank?

That actually doesn't look like diatoms to me. More like a common micro algae.
How old is the tank?
I have had it set up for maybe 5 months. the algae didnt start until I added java moss about a month ago.

Micro algae is very common and generally not a problem in a tank. The only connection I to the java moss that I can think off quickly is that java moss tends to hold detritus which can promote algae growth.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back