What is this?

connorlindeman

Addicted to aquatic plants
5x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
On my newly set up ten gallon.
Water is turning a longer green.
image.jpg

Ewwwwww 🥴 you got an algae problem matey, too many nutrients and light going on. What does inside the tank look like?

image.jpg

Water is clear, its just tinting green from the algae canopy.
Here's a sample of the water from the top.
image.jpg

Never seen anything like this.
I can turn down the lights a bit, but was just wondering what type of algae this could be.

I think it's probably just surface scum that is making house for algae...is this tank filtered? You may need to think about aeration or at least a bit of bubbling to break the surface. Try that and see if it goes away

I think it's probably just surface scum that is making house for algae...is this tank filtered? You may need to think about aeration or at least a bit of bubbling to break the surface. Try that and see if it goes away
No the tank is not filtered as its a Walstad tank.
I could try adding some surface agitation...
It's some kind of biofilm. How is your photoperiod? The lighting used?
Lights are on for 8 hours. I'm running a Chihiros A-Series LED Lighting System.
Looks like you might need some surface agitation. A bubbler, sponge filter, or small powerhead pointed diagonally up at the surface would probably do it. This is an unfiltered/Walstad tank, right?
Yep, this a Walstad. I've become addicted to them 😅

I'm gonna try to add a bubbler to it and see what happens. I'll also lower the brightness.

I recommend going with the bubbler but keeping the light the same. Let it be for a couple of weeks, then make another change. Your plants are thriving, so I think if you can just break up that biofilm on the surface you might be OK.

If the bubbler doesn't work, one of these little powerheads, mounted high and angled up to blow across the surface, can be very effective at breaking up biofilm. Water circulation is important to the Walstad method. (I'm rather addicted to that style too)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Have a look at this article, its a basic rundown on why plants do better with water flow...if you're interested. I'm sure you've done your research, just if anyone else is interested too.

Apologies MODS if I'm not allowed to do this! 😬🤔 should probably refresh myself on the forum rules...

Have a look at this article, its a basic rundown on why plants do better with water flow...if you're interested. I'm sure you've done your research, just if anyone else is interested too.

Apologies MODS if I'm not allowed to do this! 😬🤔 should probably refresh myself on the forum rules...
Links to articles are fine...links to other forums = not fine

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back