What fish could I add...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

@ombomb

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Currently in the tank I have:

(N.B. All lengths are based on the approximate fully grown fish, not their current size)

1 X Red Tailed Black Shark (5") - (Fully grown)
5 X Lampeye (8")
3 X Emporer Tetra (5")
2 X Honey Gourami (3")
1 X Dwarf Gourami (2") - (Fully grown)
1 X Bristlenose Plec (6")
1 X Gold Nugget Plec (6")
1 X Swordtail (1.5")

Total length assuming all of them grow to their full length: 36.5"

In a 180 ltr / 47.5 US Gallon, well planted tank.

Do you think that it would be wise to add any more fish?

The tank is stable and water tests are good, 0 Amonia / Nitrite, low Nitrate, pH 7, temp 76.

German Rams (maybe not with the shark although it pretty much ignores the other fish at the moment) / Queen Loaches / Khuli Loaches have caught my eye, but I'd appreciate your opinions before making a decision.

I'll post a pic tomorrow when my phone stops messing me around.

Thanks in advance.

A few (2-4) khulie loaches would be ok. The 'inch epr gallon guideline' only realy applies to fish that grow up to 2" and, even then, only to thin-bodied fish such as neons or cardinals.

Once the RTBS is mature, he/she may not appreciate a lot of bottom-dwelling tank-mates which is why rams and queen loaches may not be a good idea. Though khulies also spend their time on the bottom, they are less likely to be harassed because of their habits of hiding and burrowing and generaly staying out of sight for much of the day.They are also quite small, thin fish so will not add much of a bio-load. A pair of bolivian rams could also be an option if you like them more than the khulies. They are a little more boisterous than the german rams so should be able to handle limmited aggression from the RTBS. Adding a few more emperor tetras may also be an idea.

I'll add another three tetra this weekend then I think. Do you think 6 in total would be enough to keep them happy?

I've had a look at the Bolivian Rams and they are stunning fish! Unfortunately, while my LFS seem reasonably good, I have never seen them with either the loaches or the Rams in stock, so I think they may have to ordered in if I go for them.

Any more suggestions? I'm really looking for colourful, placid fish.

My shark is currently 5" long and if it is still growing, is now doing so VERY slowly. It only really shows the other fish who's boss if they try and poke around in it's patch in between two pieces of bog wood.

I'm going to call my LFS in a bit and ask about the Bolivian Rams unless anyone has any last minute suggestions.

Any other ideas?

go on to www.thinkfish.co.uk and register and then go on the community creator, just add ur tank size and all ur fish and then clik ones u would like to add and it will tell u wether they r suitable or not

Thanks for the link Mike, looks like a handy site, but I'm concerned about the way it works out the tank limits. It's currently telling me I could keep 211cm (84.5") of fish in a 180ltr (47.5 USG) tank, which seems wrong to me.

i know it messed up for me aswell
but i just use to tell which fish are compatible with each other

Looking at the pictures of them, I actually prefer the Bolivian ones, especially seeing as they'll be more robust around the shark.

Gold Ram:

goldram1.jpg

Looks like a goldfish to me :p

Bolivian:

ram_2001.jpg

Much nicer :drool:

Mmm..the picture you have there isn't a Bolivian Ram. It's actually a Blue Ram. :/ Or a German Blue Ram, I can't tell them apart...

Anyway, this is a Bolivian Ram:

bram1.jpg

Most reactions

Back