What fish can go in a 20 gallon pond?

Any chance you can go bigger than 20 gallons?
What are the pond dimensions (length x width x height)?
Is the pond filtered and aerated?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

There are rainbowfish from NSW that can live in ponds all year round but they usually require some shade during the middle of the day in summer. Aeration is also beneficial so the oxygen levels don't drop.

Rhadinocentrus ornatus, Pseudomugil signifer, Melanotaenia duboulayi and fluviatilis, assuming the water is suitable for them. The P. signifers would be better due to the small size of the pond. If the pond is bigger, then the other species could work.

It will be above ground on a shaded balcony. The kh of my tap water is 50 mgl and my gh is 57 mgl. The ph is around 6 - 6.5. I am not sure on what pond I am getting yet, but i want to get a shallow pond so the fish have more space to swim.

It will be above ground on a shaded balcony. The kh of my tap water is 50 mgl and my gh is 57 mgl. The ph is around 6 - 6.5. I am not sure on what pond I am getting yet, but i want to get a shallow pond so the fish have more space to swim.
When you say on a balcony, is it an on-the-ground balcony or a cantilever balcony like a balcony of a multi storey building?

Go easy if it’s the latter as balconies are known to collapse when not well maintained and overloaded, although you’ll be OK if it’s only a 20G.

A pond that is 4 foot long x 2 ft wide x 2 ft high or bigger is a decent size that would accommodate any of the species of rainbowfish listed above. They will be ok in your water, which is soft (60ppm) and slightly acidic. The Rhadinocentrus would be the best choice for your water chemistry.

If you look for aquaculture ponds, you can find some 4 foot diameter x 3-4 ft high ponds quite cheap from aquaculture supply stores. These are designed for above ground use and hold a fair amount of water.

If the pond is more than 18 inches high, you might need a pool fence around it. Check with the council on pool and pond fencing regulations. This is a must if you have young children at your house. If you don't have kids living or visiting and your property is fenced off, then don't worry about it.

You can buy rubber mats from places like Clark Rubber. These are made from used car tyres and can be put under the pond to insulate the base. Then you can use expandible foam to cover the outside of the pond to help insulate it a bit if you like.

When you say on a balcony, is it an on-the-ground balcony or a cantilever balcony like a balcony of a multi storey building?

Go easy if it’s the latter as balconies are known to collapse when not well maintained and overloaded, although you’ll be OK if it’s only a 20G.
It is a cantilever balcony

A pond that is 4 foot long x 2 ft wide x 2 ft high or bigger is a decent size that would accommodate any of the species of rainbowfish listed above. They will be ok in your water, which is soft (60ppm) and slightly acidic. The Rhadinocentrus would be the best choice for your water chemistry.

If you look for aquaculture ponds, you can find some 4 foot diameter x 3-4 ft high ponds quite cheap from aquaculture supply stores. These are designed for above ground use and hold a fair amount of water.

If the pond is more than 18 inches high, you might need a pool fence around it. Check with the council on pool and pond fencing regulations. This is a must if you have young children at your house. If you don't have kids living or visiting and your property is fenced off, then don't worry about it.

You can buy rubber mats from places like Clark Rubber. These are made from used car tyres and can be put under the pond to insulate the base. Then you can use expandible foam to cover the outside of the pond to help insulate it a bit if you like.
Thankyou for your advice!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast

Members online

Back