What filter should I buy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MyDogSpot

Reaction score
Hello everyone, so I am setting up a 150l (39-40 gal) light to moderately planted fish tank with platys, and I am needing to know if the "Eheim classic 600" and the "Eheim classic 1500XL" canister filters would be good or not. Like would they be too powerful and end up sucking up my fish and causing them undue stress?

Plants : Basic Java Fern, Java Moss and Anubias species tied onto drift/bog wood. All help and suggestions are appreciated.

hi
i used to have a 170l tank 3 foot long, for that i used an eheim experience 350, i think they are a simliar power to what you are looking at, to stop small fish being sucked up the inlet i cut up a pair of tights and wrapped them around the inlet, slowed the pump a bit but stopped the fish from being sucked up

There is considerable misunderstanding about filters and filtration in the hobby. "More" does not mean better, and usually the reverse. There is only so much filtration that can occur in an aquarium, regardless of the filter (or no filter at all), but the second aspect of water current can be very important to fish so you have to be careful. With respect to the bacteria, it is possible to have the water flow through the filter too fast for effective and efficient filtration.

Given that you have a 150 liter (40 gallon) aquarium, and intend live plants and livebearers, you do not need massive filtration as it will only be detrimental. I would suggest the Eheim Classic 250 as the most you need. When looking at canister filters, I tend to use the manufacturer's guide, unless I am intending fish that need more (or less) water movement.

My 40g is filtered by a dual sponge filter. But I have it full of small wild-caught Amazonian fish that do not appreciate water currents, and it is well planted. I would never use a canister on this tank, but that is because these fish would not do well with such water movement. With livebearers you can have more water current, replicating a small stream, so the canister would work here.

Byron.

There is considerable misunderstanding about filters and filtration in the hobby. "More" does not mean better, and usually the reverse. There is only so much filtration that can occur in an aquarium, regardless of the filter (or no filter at all), but the second aspect of water current can be very important to fish so you have to be careful. With respect to the bacteria, it is possible to have the water flow through the filter too fast for effective and efficient filtration.

Given that you have a 150 liter (40 gallon) aquarium, and intend live plants and livebearers, you do not need massive filtration as it will only be detrimental. I would suggest the Eheim Classic 250 as the most you need. When looking at canister filters, I tend to use the manufacturer's guide, unless I am intending fish that need more (or less) water movement.

My 40g is filtered by a dual sponge filter. But I have it full of small wild-caught Amazonian fish that do not appreciate water currents, and it is well planted. I would never use a canister on this tank, but that is because these fish would not do well with such water movement. With livebearers you can have more water current, replicating a small stream, so the canister would work here.

Byron.
But how much is too much flow in terms of say biological filtration?? 4X, 6X, 10X 15X??, by the way, can't I just use the flow valves, the spray bar, put a sponge on the intake, keep the hoses longer, put on ribbed hoses, put in different media, arrange the media differently all to make the flow suitable, while still getting good filtration?? I have been reading up alot about all this, and watched some videos on youtube as well. I am getting so frustrated about this, I have been carefully thinking about all this for A WHILE like months, just trying to decide on a filter. I'm trying to do the right thing for everything in my tank, I want my fish and everything to be happy, I want everything to be right. I am quite stressed about making a decision, because I want everything to be right, afraid of something being wrong. I am trying to consider as much as I know about and can think of. It's all so heavy on my mind. :'(

But how much is too much flow in terms of say biological filtration?? 4X, 6X, 10X 15X??, by the way, can't I just use the flow valves, the spray bar, put a sponge on the intake, keep the hoses longer, put on ribbed hoses, put in different media, arrange the media differently all to make the flow suitable, while still getting good filtration?? I have been reading up alot about all this, and watched some videos on youtube as well. I am getting so frustrated about this, I have been carefully thinking about all this for A WHILE like months, just trying to decide on a filter. I'm trying to do the right thing for everything in my tank, I want my fish and everything to be happy, I want everything to be right. I am quite stressed about making a decision, because I want everything to be right, afraid of something being wrong. I am trying to consider as much as I know about and can think of. It's all so heavy on my mind. :'(

This question is not simple to answer because of all the affecting factors. I have always taken the manufacturer's recommendation when it comes to canisters, especially Eheim (I have two Eheim Pro canisters that have been running since 1996 and 1998 on my 90g and 70g tanks, all the other tanks have sponge filters). I have done this because I have not kept fish that need more water movement, and I rely on the filter for this. If you have Hillstream Loaches, or plecos from the Rio Xingu in South America, you need much more water flow that you want say for livebearers, and then this would be still less for South American characins.

Filtration involves mechanical, which is the water passing through media especially pads to keep it clear (which is not the same as "clean"). The suspended particulate matter being caught will be relative to the fish and their habits. But generally this can be very simple; there is nothing much better than a simple sponge for this aspect of filtration.

When it comes to the biological, the fish and live plants are important factors. Most people rely on the filter for the nitrification. It is possible to have the water flow through the filter too rapid for this to be effective. And nitrification will only occur at the level relevant to the biological system. It will not be any more if you have one filter, two filters, or ten filters, because it solely depends upon the amount of ammonia entering the system. So all this 2X or 10X filtration is somewhat irrelevant--provided the system is not overloaded to start with, and the filter is matched to the system.

I had a 10g tank, planted, with 20-25 small fish, and no filter; it ran fine for a year. It was an experiment, but the point is that when the system is balanced, it does its own filtration if plants are present.

Byron.

Ok, I am very angry, and very frustrated, everyone has different opinions about everything, I am sick of it. I am losing my mind, going insane over this (literally), no literally I am going insane and not joking, but do you care? Most likely not. I understand all about the biological filtration, long before you told me (years infact). As far as I am concerned, from my point of view, I have no way to know if you are right, or if everybody else is right, but I sure know one thing... I want to get it right the first time with out wasting money and making a mistake. I am literally going insane and I am depressed about this...

Last edited:
Ok, I am very angry, and very frustrated, everyone has different opinions about everything, I am sick of it. I am losing my mind, going insane over this (literally), no literally I am going insane and not joking, but do you care? Most likely not. I understand all about the biological filtration, long before you told me (years infact). As far as I am concerned, from my point of view, I have no way to know if you are right, or if everybody else is right, but I sure know one thing... I want to get it right the first time with out wasting money and making a mistake. I am literally going insane and I am depressed about this...

Perhaps take a few deep breaths, or pour yourself a whiskey or beer. :drinks:

There are many aspects of this hobby where there are varying opinions. Filter manufacturers rate their products according to suitability for a range of tank sizes. A reputable firm like Eheim wouldn't recommend a less expensive filter if it wasn't up to the job.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back