I can't use this filter anymore, what should I do?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

rebe

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Tank: 105L/29g, 75x35x40cm
Inhabitants: 11 Beckfordi pencilfish, 11 black kuhlii loaches and 1 tiny golden ancistrus
Plants: egeria densa and limnophila sessiliflora. Plastic plants to break up sight lines until the plants grow taller.
Water: 7.5 pH, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 7ppm nitrates (tap water level)

Tank set up since 4th Feb 2024, with fish added on 16th Feb.

The tank looks hideous in my opinion, but it's only a QT. I had the wood tied to a rock but the thread (100% cotton) broke down before it was fully water logged.
IMG20240228103515.jpg

I've had the same filter since I got into the hobby, and my experience has always been great with it. The Aquael ASAP 300/400.

Last week I was looking at the tank and I noticed that one of my pencilfish was in the filter, dead. I was pretty shocked because I'd covered the intake of the filter with sponge when I set the tank up in the summer last year, because I was paranoid about fish getting sucked into or pulled against the filter.
I realised that because I had the filter rotated to the side, it had created a small opening which seemed like the only way it could have gotten into the filter. So I turned the filter to close the gap, thinking I had solved the problem.
1709117432321.png
1709117500740.png

Then about five minutes ago just by chance, I saw that one of my java loaches (black kuhlii) was stuck in the filter. I didn't take the time to properly look at it, I just took the lid of the tank and opened the filter (underwater) straight away. I had to pull out the sponge, so I didn't see if the loach swam out or if it was dead and floated out. But I can't see a body, so I assume that I found it in time.

I now absolutely do not feel comfortable running the filter in the tank, especially since the only way I can see that it could have gotten in is through the filter outflow/outtake. I'm thinking of ordering a sponge filter on amazon but that'll take at least two days to get here.

I have a spare filter, but it's the same one! I liked it so much that I got the second as a spare...

What do you think I should do? Last water change was less than 24h ago, probably 60-70%. Should I order a sponge filter, I have no clue!

I have sponge filters in all my small tanks and have lots of spares… they are commonly also sold at a lot of local stores like Walmart, etc., if you had the chance to get one quicker locally

For temporary, you could try moving your filter away from the area the fish like to inhabit, like just below the surface, instead of towards the bottom

if you had the chance to get one quicker locally
Unfortunately there's nowhere that I can travel to on my own any time sooner. There's one pet shop 30 minutes away, but they don't have sponge filters.

For temporary, you could try moving your filter away from the area the fish like to inhabit, like just below the surface, instead of towards the bottom
The filter isn't small enough for it to make any difference, since I have top dwellers and bottom dwellers that both like midwater too.

I could try diy-ing a sponge filter with cycled sponge and an airstone. I don't have anything else on hand

I appreciate the reply!

I had to look up the model. It is strange the fish got in. I would put it near the surface because loaches like the bottom. They will try to get into small spaces, and the loach may have done so when you were working on the filter. Fish from higher in the water column won't have the slightest interest.

I'd take a shoulder bag and go for a walk. Pick up a dozen stones, ideally flat ones, rinse them off and build a series of narrow caves along the back of the tank, lean to style. Slate would be ideal, but I confess, while I've been to various spots in Ireland, I've never looked down at the rocks.

Then cover the back glass of the tank with dark paper, acrylic paint or dark/black fabric.

If the loaches feel secure, they'll be far less likely to battle their way into danger. As is, you aren't really set up for them, as they like hiding places and fear the open. They are well known for getting into places they shouldn't, but can be directed into safer places.

Maybe the fish died and then got sucked into the filter

Wrap a piece of filter wool or thin sponge around the intake so nothing can get sucked into the filter.

I would put it near the surface because loaches like the bottom. They will try to get into small spaces, and the loach may have done so when you were working on the filter.
The loach got in when the filter was running normally and it was up at the surface. I'm still a little baffled at how it got in.

I think Broadstrand, a beach near me, has lots of smooth stones and pieces of flat rock like slate. I'll get some as soon as I can, and I'll make them some more caves.
They do have some rocks I propped up against each other, and they like to spend some time hiding in there. The java loaches seem happy to me, they're always active even during the day. I was planning to get a couple more plants at the weekend, I might give the tank a little make over with more stones and plants.

That's them enjoying the fresh water during a water change

Maybe the fish died and then got sucked into the filter

Wrap a piece of filter wool or thin sponge around the intake so nothing can get sucked into the filter.
I don't think so :(
I had already covered the whole intake area with some sponge, so it didn't get sucked in from the actual intake part.

I've since created a mesh bag with some cotton thread and fiberglass mesh (not fiberglass like the insulation) and I've put the entire filter into the mesh bag. It'll do until I can get a sponge filter, which should be Monday at the very latest but most likely Friday 🤞

You need a powerful airpump for a sponge filter, especially with fish like loaches. I hadn't thought about loaches, but they need water to move. In that video, they are as hyper as any creature can be. That energy demands oxygen.

You need a powerful airpump for a sponge filter, especially with fish like loaches. I hadn't thought about loaches, but they need water to move. In that video, they are as hyper as any creature can be. That energy demands oxygen.
They're quite hyper during a water change and almost the same during feeding (day and night), but outside of those times they are more relaxed luckily. I wouldn't like them as much if they were that active all the time, I prefer fish calmer than that, like my bolvian ram cichlid or hengels rasboras.

I had some spare airline and connector pieces so I have an airstone-bar bubbling away in the tank now. You're right about the oxygen, so I wanted to make sure there was some aeration going on.

What would you regard as a powerful air pump, @GaryE ? I'm willing to invest in a more powerful one, so that the tank can have it's own dedicated pump.
These are the pumps I currently have:
1x Zacro Airpump (6W, two outlets)
1709149316931.png
2x Mini Air Pump (1W)
1709149578475.png

(Edit: I had two not three of the mini pumps)

Last edited:
As a temporary measure you could just wrap a stocking around the filter. Depending on where your tank is noise may be a bigger issue than power. A lot of air pumps are noisy, especially the less expensive ones. Make sure you check the reviews. A great (and quiet) alternative to an air pump is this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquael-Pat-MINI-INTERNAL-FILTER/dp/B071HNCKMJ I have one on the desk right next to where I work and confirm its quiet - and it does a good job.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
They're quite hyper during a water change and almost the same during feeding (day and night), but outside of those times they are more relaxed luckily. I wouldn't like them as much if they were that active all the time, I prefer fish calmer than that, like my bolvian ram cichlid or hengels rasboras.

I had some spare airline and connector pieces so I have an airstone-bar bubbling away in the tank now. You're right about the oxygen, so I wanted to make sure there was some aeration going on.

What would you regard as a powerful air pump, @GaryE ? I'm willing to invest in a more powerful one, so that the tank can have it's own dedicated pump.
These are the pumps I currently have:
1x Zacro Airpump (6W, two outlets)View attachment 337732
2x Mini Air Pump (1W)View attachment 337733

(Edit: I had two not three of the mini pumps)
Most of the filtration I have for my tanks are sponge filters and I do like them. They're very safe and good for fish that like low flow. That first air pump you linked looks like it'll be more than enough to power a sponge filter for your tank size. The second one is probably too small.

If you're interested in learning more, this fishlab article is helpful for understanding air pump power and the requirements for running air through air stones or sponge filters. It took me a bit to wrap my head around the way they present their information (I think it's written somewhat confusingly in places), but basically, depth is a more important consideration than whatever gallon rating an air pump has. The deeper your tank, the stronger the pump will need to be in order to push air through the hose and whatever device you have. The gallons of water displaced (by air) per hour by the pump is a more useful metric, but sellers don't usually list that information. The article authors tested a bunch of air pumps and listed their GPH rating at different water depths. I don't think either of the air pumps you have were tested by them, but the article is a good start for understanding the "theory".

As a temporary measure you could just wrap a stocking around the filter. Depending on where your tank is noise may be a bigger issue than power. A lot of air pumps are noisy, especially the less expensive ones. Make sure you check the reviews. A great (and quiet) alternative to an air pump is this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquael-Pat-MINI-INTERNAL-FILTER/dp/B071HNCKMJ I have one on the desk right next to where I work and confirm its quiet - and it does a good job.
I have that filter in my shrimp tank and I can confirm it is quiet. Being a small tank, the flow rate adjuster is turned right down. It's basically a sponge with a powerhead attached, which is why I got one for my shrimp tank as it doesn't suck up baby shrimps.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back