What eats white fuzz on wood

Beastije

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I know white fuzz on wood is normal, though usually in new wood or indicating the wood is growing too soft. I do not have the time to remove the piece of wood, as it is large and holds plants. I understand it is harmless mostly to the inhabitants, though I keep removing it during water changes.
However, why does noone eat it. I have some but not many ramshorns, one or two small clithons, six otocinclus and afaik still 4 amano shrimp

My b-rams did a number on my snails, so while maybe a lot of MTS are hidden in the substrate and thiara scabra can be still seen sometimes, I had to remove all my rabbit snails and large nerite to not risk them. Will buying ramshorns help with this? Thanks
7mwj59ppfq5b1.jpeg

It's fungus and some wood fungus is poisonous. take it outside and hose it off.

Hello B. Rams Horn snails will take care of the fungus. As for your fish, fungus isn't toxic to a healthy aquarium fish, because of the slim coat that covers it. I believe the coating is called a "mucus layer". Anyway, the fungus spores can't get through the protective covering on the fish. Now, if you miss a water change or neglect the fish in some other way, then the mucus layer can develop tears or holes that can allow the fungus spores or something else to infect the fish. Keep the water clean and you'll have healthy fish that are resistant to anything bad that might be living in your fish tank.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

First and most importantly--it is never advisable to acquire a fish (or invertebrate often) to deal with what you (the aquarist) views as a "problem," like algae, fungus, snails, whatever. Fish come with their individual species requirements, and may or may not be good citizens, not only thinking of temperament and compatibility but their impact on the biological system and other fish and perhaps plants.

Second, this is fungus obviously, and Colin is correct. Some species of fungus are highly toxic, others harmless. Fungus grows from inside the wood, and unless one knows where the wood came from it is impossible to guess, other than by examination of a microbiologist. Several members have had the harmless fungi, some (including me) the toxic. In my case, the wood placed in the tank caused a slight cloudiness, which alerted me, and then the fish became more lethargic and had higher (much higher) rates of respiration. I pulled the wood out, did a major water change (80%) and the fish recovered. I scraped the wood, let it sit in the air for a couple months, then placed it in a tank of water (no fish) for three months, and saw no fungus. Put it in another aquarium, and saw no fungus, but suddenly literally overnight the fish began dying, and I discovered a tiny tuft of the fungus on the back side where I had not seem it. Wood went into the back garden. The branchy wood like grapewood, spider wood, seems more prone to toxic fungi. I never in all my 30 years had fungus from the chunks of Malaysian Driftwood, and I had a lot of it in my tanks.

I have had this particular piece of wood in the tank for close to two years now I think. I had it in my outside water hole for like 4 months to let it sink. I removed the fungus (also some bba there) during today water change and will monitor, how fast it comes back and will go hunt for a replacement wood. But I love this piece :) but it may be its time
This grows on the wood
1686668950800.png

Hello again. Fungus spores are living in most fish tanks. Healthy fish are really immune to infection. If a healthy fish is injured or stressed in some way that their protective covering is damaged, then there can be an infection develope. There are several other reasons for fungus infections like poor water quality, age, a dead fish that's missed and stays in the tank too long and fouls the tank water. But, if you're a fanatic water changer and periodically vacuum the bottom material, your fish are going to be healthy and the chances of a healthy fish being infected are very remote.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Iā€™m not sure I would want something risky in my tank jeopardizing my fish the first time anything goes wrong, one gets an accidental injury or in a spat with another fish, or whatever else I canā€™t think of. I prefer to decrease the potential toxins as well as keep up their health, not having opportunistic infections waiting in the wings. Iā€™m not sure about the spores not getting through the slime coat because gills are fine membranes to absorb oxygen and that wouldnā€™t work if they were rendered impervious by a slime coat. I donā€™t think there is any slime coat on gills or mouths. Fungus releases spores into the water, itā€™s not just something they rub against. So yes, they can be harmed by the environment, even a previously healthy fish, which then wouldnā€™t be. @Byron just gave you example and he doesnā€™t sound like one to have been slacking on water changes and care of his fish.

Iā€™m going to add that, as has already been pointed out, not all fungus is the same. The fact that some fish have remained healthy despite fungus in the tank is an anecdotal experience and does not mean all fish will be ok with all fungi.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back