What Do I Need To Keep An Apple Snail,guppies,and Platys Healthy?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

betta527

Reaction score
I will be getting those fish soon,and i just wanted some tips. :rolleyes:

Hehe arobinson! :rolleyes:

Betta527 - How many exactly of each fish + snail do you plan to get? This will help people to estimate what sized tank you need.

You'll also need a cycled filter.

And some good quality flake and wafer food.

Hehe arobinson! :rolleyes:

Betta527 - How many exactly of each fish + snail do you plan to get? This will help people to estimate what sized tank you need.

You'll also need a cycled filter.

And some good quality flake and wafer food.

Iam going to get 3 guppies,2 platys,and 1 snail.And i have done some research on them and it said that if u have a good filter and clean/test the water they COULD live in 5 gallons.

I wouldn't put those fish in a 5gal.
There just isn't enough swiming room in my opinion.
And you'd be pushing it stocking wise. You'd need plenty of live plants and would need to do at least a 30% water change EVERY week.

Also you'd need to get all male or all female guppys.
And either all male or all female platys.

i hope you intend on getting same sex livebearers then.

Will they stay healthy in a 5 gal with a good filter..maybe..will they be happy...not really

Will they stay healthy in a 5 gal with a good filter..maybe..will they be happy...not really

YES im going to keep it ALL males.And i dont mind doing water changes.

YES im going to keep it ALL males.And i dont mind doing water changes.

Nobody is saying that its not possible to put them fish in a 5 gal tank and keep it healthy.

What we are saying is they may be healthy, but they wont be happy. Why make your fish miserable? they are animals after all. There just isnt enough swimming space no matter how many water changes you do.

Would you like to have to live in a box 24/7 with 4 other people and some snails?

Andy

If it were me I'd aim for something like a 15 gal (60litres ish)

And would have:
2 Apple Snails
4 Platys
6 Guppys

Well...I wouldn't have guppys or platys at all...lol. But if I were you then that's what I'd do.

Danger!

A tank with single-sex livebearers may not remain that way!

I specifically bought and confirmed only female juvenile mollies. Within two weeks one had changed sex - I thought this impossible until I researched the issue then mentioned it at the LFS who confirmed this was indeed possible. There was clear mating and fry in the weeks afterwards.

What is 5 gallons anyway? A fish bowl?

Gotta say I don't believe for one second that females turn into males.

It is much more likely that it was a slow developing male. Molly fry all look female when they are born...but then males develop their gonopodium over time.

I'd love a logical explanation too but I'm told the change of sex is a reaction to ensuring the continuation of the stock. If only one sex exists in a tank evolution for that breed will come to a natural halt.

If anyone has scientific evidence proving this wrong, please supply a reference!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back