What are good peaceful nano fish to keep with platys?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JackGulley

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
As I re-evaluate what exactly I want for my tank, I’ve realized that I’d like to lose the middle-sized fish I currently have (zebra danios and white clouds), in exchange for peaceful, <1 inch fish that will interact with the landscape and won’t harm the platy fry.

I would also have Cherry shrimp, otos, and probably Pygmy Cories in the tank still, although I’m still toying with the idea of Juliis.

I realized that I wasn’t getting a lot of enjoyment out of the danios movement since they just kinda zoom all over the place, whereas the fry and the pygmys I can see physically exploring and utilizing the shape of their enviroment, especially the more jungly sections.

I’ve heard regarding certain nano fish (like scarlet badis for instance) that platys can be too aggressive, but in my experience my specific platies have been pretty docile, they ignore the shrimp and Cories for the most part and rarely harass them

I know Pygmy cories (already have 1 left from a batch, will either get more or get a different Cory species in the future), chili rasboras, and scarlet badis. Badis specifically seem really interesting to me because of their territorial nature, but the stuff about them being hard to feed makes me unsure.

As I re-evaluate what exactly I want for my tank, I’ve realized that I’d like to lose the middle-sized fish I currently have (zebra danios and white clouds), in exchange for peaceful, <1 inch fish that will interact with the landscape and won’t harm the platy fry.

I would also have Cherry shrimp, otos, and probably Pygmy Cories in the tank still, although I’m still toying with the idea of Juliis.

I realized that I wasn’t getting a lot of enjoyment out of the danios movement since they just kinda zoom all over the place, whereas the fry and the pygmys I can see physically exploring and utilizing the shape of their enviroment, especially the more jungly sections.

I’ve heard regarding certain nano fish (like scarlet badis for instance) that platys can be too aggressive, but in my experience my specific platies have been pretty docile, they ignore the shrimp and Cories for the most part and rarely harass them

I know Pygmy cories (already have 1 left from a batch, will either get more or get a different Cory species in the future), chili rasboras, and scarlet badis. Badis specifically seem really interesting to me because of their territorial nature, but the stuff about them being hard to feed makes me unsure.
Consider dwarf red coral platys, celestial pearl danios, dwarf emerald raspora.

I'd highly recommend t.hengeli, hengels rasbora. Beautiful little fish, and they school really nice too.
I don't remember off hand, but if they don't get too big beckfordi pencilfish would be another good choice. Particularly because of how small their mouths are!
Of course, these options depend on your water parameters 😁

I think I’m gonna go with chili rasboras. I still think the scarlet badis are really cool, but they would do better in a tank designed around them since they have some unique challenges.

I just discovered a species called corydoras Habrosus (“Salt and Pepper Cory”). They’re closely related to pygmy’s, but have a speckled pattern and grow larger (1.3”). I would love to get some if I can find them available.

You have a hard water fish with platys, and chili rasboras are VERY soft water. So are Badis.

Be careful with salt and pepper Corys, because it's the traditional name for Corydoras paleatus (a great tankmate for platys, but not a dwarf Cory). Two fish, one marketing name. That can cause trouble.

You have a hard water fish with platys, and chili rasboras are VERY soft water. So are Badis.
:p back to the drawing board lol. I think I do remember looking into them before and concluding that.

It’s so hard to find tankmates that fit with Platy water parameters 😤

Be careful with salt and pepper Corys, because it's the traditional name for Corydoras paleatus (a great tankmate for platys, but not a dwarf Cory). Two fish, one marketing name. That can cause trouble.
I think the paleatus is peppered cory. The dwarf cory, salt and pepper cory, is corydoras habrosus.

I have a dwarf gourami, bristlenose pleco, and ember tetras with my platys (2 different tanks)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back