Well.... Darn

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DutchMuch

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Just read and watched this
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...ching-has-zero-prospect-for-recovery/70001423
Weather its true or not idk but sheesh, so much for corals in the ocean period.
Corals to me are like living dinosaurs (they are in the wild) because they just take so long to grow (depending on the type) each individual polyp growing. Takes so much time. Why do people not realize these are our past and future? swear when I turn sixty ill be driving a car that fly's and ill be living in a house that cant see the ground, weather I want to or not im betting that's how it will be sadly. I saw some other articles saying that a ship captain crashed over miles and miles of these beautiful corals in this HUGE reef and he just ran them all over in this huge ship, then they barely punished him. Forgot to add I believe global warming is Natural. (of course, but forgot to add that since it is related to the article)
Well this turned up into a bunch of mixed stuff... Well darn lol!
I do have one question for anyone who feels they have the need to answer; what causes coral bleaching? ok warmer temperatures; but what causes that naturally? I mean it is summer so its getting warmer. I swear you cant get a good politic free article nowadays with straight answers. Thanks in advance for answering this
On a different subject just imagine the interesting things in the marana (spelling?) trench. Hold on I got this; Mariana trench? yea idk nvm the spelling of it is weird to me although I know how to say it lol cut me some slack :)

Last edited:
I'm pretty steamed about this event too. Our new president trump could not care a dime about wildlife, (not saying Hillary is any better) he cut lots of fusing from wild life's preservations everywhere, but let's not bring politics on a fish forum. Bleaching is caused by exscessive high tempatures. Corals can take a beating and some neglect but only for so long. Global warming tempatures are higher than natural tempatures, so instead of water that are like 30 Celsius the corals are being bombarded with warmer tempatures, there's no stability. Sps corals in particular are very sensitive and I can only imagine that they must Be bleaching like mad. It's sad really. And it's sad for Australia too the Great Barrier Reef Brings in so much money. It's their main sight of tourism. The only thing we can do is preserve and keep fragging corals in captivity to keep the population alive

I do like though (and just for the record, im a 100 percent trump supporter) how some marine biologists, are adding to the wildlife, as its being damaged though. By taken those frags and growing them back out and making a smaller or maybe bigger (haven't done much research into that part) reef, or just adding to another one that was/is slowly dying or decaying.
I do have another question, how long does it take for a polyp to reproduce and how long does one live for?

I don't know how long an individual polyp lives for, it's like asking how long a branch on a tree lives for. Coral colonies live thousands of years. Reproduction is done sexually via releasing of milt and eggs or asexually via dividing

I don't know how long an individual polyp lives for, it's like asking how long a branch on a tree lives for. Coral colonies live thousands of years. Reproduction is done sexually via releasing of milt and eggs or asexually via dividing
Ah ok, I have never gotten into SW tanks I have always been into FW due to the care level of it. Always active.
Perhaps ocean levels are lowering (or rising?) and the corals are getting to much sun to close to the surface and that causes them to bleach?
Just a thought

The bleaching event is not new it happens every time there is a major El nino. The 1998 El nino was very close in strength to last years el nino. Bleaching also occurred then and the reef recovered. Back then there was no mapping being done to document the extent of the problem. This time they did do survey using aircraft. They are surprised at the extent of the damage. But they have no evidence supporting the claim that it will never recover. They have only been closely watching for coral bleaching in the last 15 years.

Complex life on earth first appeared 700 million years ago. C)2 levels at that time were well over 1000ppm. Corals did exist at that time. CO2 levels stayed around 1000ppm for 600 million years. 70 years ago it was at about 280ppm. Today it is 400ppm. Low CO2 levels we see today only started to appear 50 million years ago. Corals survived all of that. We should be start to see a recovery this year.

Even if we burned all of our CO2 emission would not push CO2 levels to 1000ppm

there are a lot of climate scientist screaming the world will end due to our CO2 emission. And they say more research is needed. Mostly they are looking for more government money so that they don't have to get a real paying job. Most computer projections on future climate has predicted much more warming that what has actually occurred. None of those models have predicted any of the El nines that we have seen since we first learned of their existence. Furthermore the models cannot explain why major El nines appear about every 18 years they also cannot explain all the raining and flooding that has occurred all over the world this year. The models also cannot explain why almost all of the heat released in the last El nino has now vanished.

Coral bleaching is believed to take place due to global warming (which in this case is human caused). Basically, the CO2 being emitted is absorbed mainly by the ocean (not the Amazon Rainforest), and this in turn lowers the pH and increases temperature of the water. Corals are very delicate organisms and cannot adapt rapidly. These changes cause the coral bleaching. On the topic of the Great Barrier Reef, I can assure you that our government (the Australian one) isn't too concerned. Their interests are more in the mining potential of the surrounding areas.

@GobyMaster1127 global warming isn't real (real to an extent, StevenF gave this example and statement) though, Reason I said stevenF gave my answer is because he didn't give senseless information in it with 2 words "global & warming" which many people don't even know what the true meaning of that is. he is absolutely correct though about the scientist examples he gave. About Your government idk since im American.

MYTH 1: Global temperatures are rising at a rapid, unprecedented rate.

FACT: The HadCRUT3 surface temperature index, produced by the Hadley Centre of the UK Met Office and the Climate Research Unit of the University of East Anglia, shows warming to 1878, cooling to 1911, warming to 1941, cooling to 1964, warming to 1998 and cooling through 2011. The warming rate from 1964 to 1998 was the same as the previous warming from 1911 to 1941. Satellites, weather balloons and ground stations all show cooling since 2001. The mild warming of 0.6 to 0.8 C over the 20th century is well within the natural variations recorded in the last millennium. The ground station network suffers from an uneven distribution across the globe; the stations are preferentially located in growing urban and industrial areas ("heat islands"), which show substantially higher readings than adjacent rural areas ("land use effects"). Two science teams have shown that correcting the surface temperature record for the effects of urban development would reduce the reported warming trend over land from 1980 by half. See here.

There has been no catastrophic warming recorded.

MYTH 2: The "hockey stick" graph proves that the earth has experienced a steady, very gradual temperature decrease for 1000 years, then recently began a sudden increase.

FACT: Significant changes in climate have continually occurred throughout geologic time. For instance, the Medieval Warm Period, from around 1000 to1200 AD (when the Vikings farmed on Greenland) was followed by a period known as the Little Ice Age. Since the end of the 17th Century the "average global temperature" has been rising at the low steady rate mentioned above; although from 1940 – 1970 temperatures actually dropped, leading to a Global Cooling scare.

The "hockey stick", a poster boy of both the UN's IPCC and Canada's Environment Department, ignores historical recorded climatic swings, and has now also been proven to be flawed and statistically unreliable as well. It is a computer construct and a faulty one at that. See here for more information.

MYTH 3: Human produced carbon dioxide has increased over the last 100 years, adding to the Greenhouse effect, thus causing most of the earth's warming of the last 100 years.

FACT: Carbon dioxide levels have indeed changed for various reasons, human and otherwise, just as they have throughout geologic time. Since the beginning of the industrial revolution, the CO2 content of the atmosphere has increased by about 120 part per million (ppm), most of which is likely due to human-caused CO2 emissions. The RATE of growth during this century has been about 0.55%/year. However, there is no proof that CO2 is the main driver of global warming. As measured in ice cores dated over many thousands of years, CO2 levels move up and down AFTER the temperature has done so, and thus are the RESULT OF, NOT THE CAUSE of warming. Geological field work in recent sediments confirms this causal relationship. There is solid evidence that, as temperatures move up and down naturally and cyclically through solar radiation, orbital and galactic influences, the warming surface layers of the earth's oceans expel more CO2 as a result.

MYTH 4: CO2 is the most common greenhouse gas.

FACT: Greenhouse gases form about 3% of the atmosphere by volume. They consist of varying amounts, (about 97%) of water vapour and clouds, with the remainder being gases like CO2, CH4, Ozone and N2O, of which carbon dioxide is the largest amount. Hence, CO2 constitutes about 0.04% of the atmosphere. While the minor gases are more effective as "greenhouse agents" than water vapour and clouds, the latter are overwhelming the effect by their sheer volume and – in the end – are thought to be responsible for 75% of the "Greenhouse effect". (See here) At current concentrations, a 3% change of water vapour in the atmosphere would have the same effect as a 100% change in CO2.

Those attributing climate change to CO2 rarely mention these important facts.

MYTH 5: Computer models verify that CO2 increases will cause significant global warming.

FACT: The computer models assume that CO2 is the primary climate driver, and that the Sun has an insignificant effect on climate. Using the output of a model to verify its initial assumption is committing the logical fallacy of circular reasoning. Computer models can be made to roughly match the 20th century temperature rise by adjusting many input parameters and using strong positive feedbacks. They do not "prove" anything. Also, computer models predicting global warming are incapable of properly including the effects of the sun, cosmic rays and the clouds. The sun is a major cause of temperature variation on the earth surface as its received radiation changes all the time, This happens largely in cyclical fashion. The number and the lengths in time of sunspots can be correlated very closely with average temperatures on earth, e.g. the Little Ice Age and the Medieval Warm Period. Varying intensity of solar heat radiation affects the surface temperature of the oceans and the currents. Warmer ocean water expels gases, some of which are CO2. Solar radiation interferes with the cosmic ray flux, thus influencing the amount ionized nuclei which control cloud cover.

MYTH 6: The United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has proven that man–made CO2 causes global warming.

FACT: In a 1996 report by the UN on global warming, two statements were deleted from the final draft approved and accepted by a panel of scientists. Here they are:
1) “None of the studies cited above has shown clear evidence that we can attribute the observed climate changes to increases in greenhouse gases.”
2) “No study to date has positively attributed all or part of the climate change to man–made causes”

To the present day there is still no scientific proof that man-made CO2 causes significant global warming.

See a Wall Street Journal article here.

MYTH 7: CO2 is a pollutant.

FACT: This is absolutely not true. Nitrogen forms 80% of our atmosphere. We could not live in 100% nitrogen either. Carbon dioxide is no more a pollutant than nitrogen is. CO2 is essential to life on earth. It is necessary for plant growth since increased CO2 intake as a result of increased atmospheric concentration causes many trees and other plants to grow more vigorously. Unfortunately, the Canadian Government has included CO2 with a number of truly toxic and noxious substances listed by the Environmental Protection Act, only as their means to politically control it. The graph here shows changes in vegetative cover due to CO2 fertilization between 1982 and 2010 (Donohue et al., 2013 GRL). A major study here shows that CO2 fertilization will likely increase the value of crop production between now and 2050 by an additional $11.7 trillion ($US 2014). See here for more discussion.

MYTH 8: Global warming will cause more storms and other weather extremes.

FACT: There is no scientific or statistical evidence whatsoever that supports such claims on a global scale. Regional variations may occur. Growing insurance and infrastructure repair costs, particularly in coastal areas, are sometimes claimed to be the result of increasing frequency and severity of storms, whereas in reality they are a function of increasing population density, escalating development value, and ever more media reporting. See here for graphs and discussion of extreme weather.

MYTH 9: Receding glaciers and the calving of ice shelves are proof of man-made global warming.

FACT: Glaciers have been receding and growing cyclically for hundreds of years. Recent glacier melting is a consequence of coming out of the very cool period of the Little Ice Age. Ice shelves have been breaking off for centuries. Scientists know of at least 33 periods of glaciers growing and then retreating. It’s normal. Besides, changes to glacier's extent is dependent as much on precipitation as on temperature.

MYTH 10: The earth’s poles are warming and the polar ice caps are breaking up and melting.

FACT: The earth is variable. The Arctic Region had warmed from 1966 to 2005, due to cyclic events in the Pacific Ocean and soot from Asia darkening the ice, but there has been no warming since 2005. Current temperatures are the same as in 1943. The small Palmer Peninsula of Antarctica is getting warmer, while the main Antarctic continent is actually cooling. Ice cap thicknesses in both Greenland and Antarctica are increasing. North polar temperature graph here. South polar temperature graph here. See here for sea ice extent.

No problem, its a very curious subject!
Thought it would be difficult (it was) to get a Straight Answer as this topic involves some political subjects, within the question. I must agree it was very interesting to see and read about!

Still curious about others answers though; on a different but related topic, I notice no one defending their case about man made GW, pity :p

Last edited:
Currently nasa and the IPCC are saying in 2100 we will have devastating warming of 5C and sea level will rise 1 meter. Those numbers are basically the same as what they were saying in 1980. However since 1978 satellites have been recording the earths temperature. After 40years the temperature is only up about 0.4C and based on that we can expect the temperature to be 1C warmer in 2100. Currently see level has risen by a few inches. In the 80's and 90's NASA often published a temperature graph of when a new record was sent. However now they don't print a graph of list the temperature. Why, last years record temperature was a record by about 0.01 which is well below the accuracy of the data the satilites provide.

hmmm. Very interesting, ill have to do some background research on that just because im curious on the specs!
Now regarding the initial question, will rising water increase, decrease, or have no effect on certain coral growths? over time.
Man I wish I had a sw tank...

Now regarding the initial question, will rising water increase, decrease, or have no effect on certain coral growths? over time.

Well corals typically grow close to the surface. If see level drops then the corals will bleach. Sea level does change a little pit during El nine's and along with strong tides large areas of coral will dry out and bleach. But I don't know if that is enough to cause significant bleaching that has occurred. Hi water temperatures certainly will bleach coral.

Hot water tends to stay close to the surface. So if the water gets deeper then the coral will likely be in cooler water and will have a better chance of surviving. However if the water gets too deep coral will die from loses of light. During the last ice age sea level was at least 200ft lower than it is today. biologist have found the remains of corals at about that depth.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back