Weird Worm Thing In Tank!? Please Help

Liv15

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
theres a big worm in my tank and it's really gross!! It's about two inches long, does anyone know what this is? If you look at the end of it on the left it looks like it has some sort of sucker mouth thing.

Could this be a big leech? Can leeches get this big?? I know I had some leeches in this tank about a year and a half ago because I put some weed from the pond in it and they must have hatched out but this thing is massive compared to them! And I haven't seen any leeches since then so I assumed they died out! I have tried googling but haven't found any info, please help!!!

The image seems to have rotated on its side, the bottom of the pic is this way --> (on my screen, anyway) so the image is this way <-- up!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 82
Wow! I don't have a clue..but I'll research and see if I find anything.

Another picture!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 86
The mouth sucker part does sound like a leech..but I couldn't find anything either. ????

There are also a lot of teeny tiny white worm things in the gravel that swim around when disturbed (I think they're nematodes) if that helps anyone. Have also recently treated for whitespot if that helps anyone? !

I think it might be a big leech and the whitespot treatment must have been killing it because it looks like its dying!

Teeny white worms are either planaria or detritus worms, both are fairly harmless and can be eradicated by lessening the leftover food and detritus in the tank.

Looks like a particularly large planeria / planerian flatworm, though not 100% that is what it is, picture is a little blurry to be certain.

Do a google search for images to see if that matches what you have in your tank.

+1

Do you know how it got in there?

Is your tank freshwater?

I recently saw something about a small worm that gets into Marine systems, it lurks in the substrate until suddenly the aquarist notes fish just disappear. This is because it suddenly launches up at a fish dragging it below the substrate for consumption. It had grown huge within the aquarium unbeknown to the aquarist!

Like this one http://youtu.be/YpD8jWvYEHI

What a leech can do
http://youtu.be/0fGGz6d3vC4

Most reactions

Back