Weird temperature changes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kirsty

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
When i left the tank it was 26C and when i got home it was 29C!!!
How did this happen? I know my heater didnt come on.

Whats the room tempreture.

How old is the heater is it working right.

Just over a week old, I think its working just fine, whats the best way to know?

Sure you have the correct temp set and it hasn't moved by accident on the dial.

Well it hasnt come on yet....tank has never dropped below 26C

Hi Kirsty :)

I live in the US and don't know how warm the climate is where you live, but could your house be warming up inside due to Spring being here?

If not, it sounds like you might have a problem with your heater. This is nothing to fool around with because a substantial jump in temperature over a short period of time can lead to bacterial infections.

If possible, take the heater out of the tank and experiment with it in a pan of water to avoid further overheating the fish. Also, you might want to consider whether your thermometer could have become inaccurate.

If you are in doubt, replace the heater. :D

Is a heater only heating when the little light on it comes on?

Yes when a light appears it heating the water.

Inchworm said:
I live in the US and don't know how warm the climate is where you live, but could your house be warming up inside due to Spring being here?
I am definitely experiencing that in North Carolina. Night temps are in the 40s still so I need the heat on but daytime temps going into the upper 70s so if I don't turn the air conditioning on before I leave for work, the house temp is in the upper 70s by evening. My unheated betta tank temps tend to run about 3 or 4 degrees higher than the room temp (I guess because of the light and filter) so that puts the temp on the betta tanks into the low 80s. They usually stay around 76.

Hi rdd1952 :)

This is the time of year that bacterial infections increase because of just that kind of temperature fluctuations. A little variation is OK; it happens in the fishs' natural environment. As long as the temperature doesn't exceed the normal range for the fish, they are fine with that too.

What causes problems are large temperature swings, especially when the temperature rises or drops quickly. A rapid drop could bring on ich, while a quick rise will often cause stress that will leave your fish susceptible to a bacterial infection.

A good heater that has an accurate thermostat can help prevent problems. An accurate thermometer is a must have too.

Another way to avoid bacterial infections is to be aware that harmful bacteria multiply faster in warm water than in cool, so do more frequent water changes if the water is warmer. They also multiply faster in still water than in tanks that have good circulation and therefore a higher oxygen content. If necessary, an airstone can be added. Whatever it takes, do it, because it's much easier to prevent them than to cure them. :D

Thanks inchworm. My 2 big tanks don't fluctuate very much. Just the volume of water makes the temp in those more stable I guess. The smaller tanks are more susceptible but they only seem to rise about 3 or 4 degrees on the days I forget and still don't really get over 80. I do have airstones in both of the small tanks along with heaters and filtration. Won't be long till the AC is on all the time any way.

Wilder said:
Yes when a light appears it heating the water.
When the light appears, the thermostat has detected that the water temperature has dropped below the set level of the heater (considering it is operating correctly).

The unit will continue to heat the water for a while even once the light has gone out, due to residual heat.

Kirsty, do you have one of those stick on thermometres? If so, they can be highly inaccurate sometimes. Always get a thermometer that sits in the water.

Jon

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back